Skip to main content

Anybody ever heard of the Royal?

I ask that question sarcastically because I have a great friend of mine who is crazy not only about the Royal Agricultural Winter Fair in Tornonto but who also seems to find redeemng qualities in the Jersey cow.

Russell Gammon, Executive Secretary of Jersey Canada, otherwise known as the "Big Guy" of Canadian Jerseys, or as he likes to refer to himself as Jerseyboy, is a big... no huge fan of the Royal and I wanted to share with you the comments he sent to me this morning about their big event coming up. I think we'll all be ready to hop in the car and cross the border after reading his description of one of the best ag expositions in the world.

It has been thirty-one years (November 1976 while I was a student at the U of G's Ontario Agricultural College) since my first memorable visit to "The Royal." I've been back every year since then and certainly every year since 1981! More than an autumnal rite of passage "The Royal" is sheer magic! The people, the sights and sounds, the excellence of competition, the fun, frivolity, joy of socializing and the scores of international visitors and amount of business conducted there are all an intoxicating mix of delights!!!

You long for those few golden days in November all year through. Then, as soon as one Royal is over you start dreaming about next year! We have some great Jersey shows in Canada because great conformation is one of our Canuck hallmarks and international calling cards! Nonetheless, the Royal is known world over as "THE BIG Dance", "THE one to win", "The Grand-daddy and Grand-mammy of them all" !!! In short the Royal is the jewel in the crown and nothing else quite compares! That's why since 1922 which is far from yesterday it has been "simply the best!"

Russell, your passion for cows and love of the Royal is palpable, thanks for sharing!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Big bucks spent at Butlerview Sale

Good morning from the Knolltop . It's balmy here! When we went across the road at 4:30 this morning it was 45 out and the temp is climbing...yes it smells and feels like spring and I love it....but I know it won't last. Because no one else on the web has decided to report on it, I will give a tidbit of the Butlerview Parade of Perfection Sale that happened last weekend in Elkhorn Wisconsin. The sale averaged $19,845 on 124 lots and the sale gross was....are you ready.....sit down for this one.....$2,460,800.00! Amazing isn't it? There were buyers from 23 states and Canada and the high seller was Lot 8 at $190,000 purchased by Triple Crown Genetics, Kingsmill Farm & Gene Iager . The next highest consignment was Lot 1 at $155,000 purchased by David Ludwig of Illinois and the third highest was Lot 46 at $96,000 and Mike Garrow & Gerald Todd went home with that bargain. Apparently it was a high intensity sale with well over 800 people in attendance. I just w...
JW is at it again with marketing goodies for his Senior Trip. And this is what he left on my stove after his entrepreneurial chocolate fest! Monday he bought the molds and chocolate and made some samples to take to school. Tuesday he took his pretty packages of goodies and handed them out, took the orders and sold $96 worth of chocolates! With the pretty boxes and bags his Nana sent up from Georgia, he melted his chocolate, put them in molds, stuck them in the freezer, tapped them out of the molds and put them in some fancy boxes and bags. This morning he took a laundry basket full of bags and boxes to deliver at school. I'm amazed at how a little packaging can take ordinary chocolate...and I mean ORDINARY...we're not talking Dove or Cadbury ....ORDINARY chocolate and make it into something people will buy. Just amazing!

Table Linens

Good Morning from a cool and kind of cloudy Knolltop! Wasn't that elf thing funny? I had a friend from PA send that to me and I laughed for at least 10 minutes. Then when I collected myself, I made one with my kids and me. You can only have five elves, so I didn't stick Bobby in...I should have! What a hoot! When the kids got home they watched it and we all laughed together! Then while we were milking we were trying to do the dance moves...of course we weren't nearly as good in our barn clothes as we are in our elf outfits! I said I would share a little more of thanksgiving, so I will now. Today's topic is simple. Linen. More specifically, linen tableclothes. My mom and I love linens and she has a boatload of old linens her mom gave to her. She loves to starch and iron them and hang them up to admire. I have to admit, there is nothing better than a freshly starched tablecloth. Then it was time to set the table for Thanksgiving we practially had a tablecloth unveiling. S...