Knolltop Farm Wife (Melissa Hart)

Welcome to my blog! I'm a wife, mother of four and a self-employed freelance writer. In addition to writing, I am involved in producing several dairy magazines and am the editor of Dairy Agenda Today where I have a blog there as well! This is a place where I can get what's in my head, down on paper (the internet). I hope you find encouragement and maybe a giggle or two!
Follow me on instagram @farmwriter

Thursday, December 6, 2007

It's cold!

Now it's cold....really cold....it was 7 degrees this morning...but no wind and what a blessing! When we went to the barn, I expected to find something frozen and much to my surprise...it was quite pleasant in there. No frozen pipes, drinking cups or hoses!

Luke's team is still undefeated, they beat Waldron last night...by a bunch. Tonight is Jake's Christmas program at school....no rest for the wicked.

Yesterday I got a call from the school needing a recess attendant. One of their aids was sick, so on the coldest, windiest day we've had this winter, they call me! Knowing I was going to be outside in the wind, I layered and layered and the final layer was my carhart overalls, I usually don't wear those, I don't need them in the barn and that's really the only place I spend any time outside. But yesterday while I watched bunches of kids play in the fresh snow I stayed nice and warm in my overalls.

I only had one problem with one little boy who wouldn't put his hat on his head. When he threw his hat on the ground the second time and walked away defiantly that was it. I picked that hat up, marched up to him and said in my motherly voice, "Look here, I've got three boys and I can take them all down, so you don't want to mess with me, if you don't put this hat on, I'm going to take you down and spit in your eye!" Of course, I said it while I was hugging and tickling him. The reaction of the other five boys around him was priceless. They looked at me with their big eyes and one of them said, "Who are you? You're not Mrs. Hardy." I took my sunglasses off and said, "No, I'm Mrs. Hart and you'd better watch out!" Then I laughed and and the bell rang for the end of recess. It was a good thing because that little boy still wouldn't put his hat on...and I didn't feel like showing off my WWF skills!

Better get out and face the cold again!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Liss--I sure do hope that those 2 big boys of yours don't decide to make you put your money where your mouth is cause they are getting pretty big and pretty strong!! After all, they've spent most of the summer tossing hay bales. However I'm sure the twinkle in your eye and your "motherly voice" will keep you safe. Also being able to dry a shirt with a hair dryer first thing in the AM doesn't hurt. I loved the mental picture of Sarah rolling her eyes, Luke shaking his head and Bobby bemoaning the fact that being a single parent of five kids is tough. What a hoot!! mom