Skip to main content

Heifer crisis

I got a little later start here on the Knolltop and it's starting to snowball into my day!


Getting to the barn on time this morning for milking I was doing my heifer chores like I always do before we actually start to milk the cows. I slid open the door to connect the hose to the hydrant to water the calves. As I was hooking up the hose I heard a cow with a not normal breathing pattern. Stopping to listen I determined it wasn't the kind of breathing that went with a cow calving that sounded like she really didn't know how she got pregnant and really didn't like what was happening during the painful delivery and could you please get this thing out of me RIGHT NOW!


No, this was a cow in distress, but I just didn't know what kind of distress. So like any good farmwife....I went and told Bobby he needed to get his flashlight and see what was wrong. I know, you thought this tough farm woman would've investigated the problem and handled it with confidence, right? NO WAY! I don't like investigating wierd sounding cows in the dark....in the cold dark!


He came running back into the barn calling for my help, well, actually yelling for my help. I quickly made my way to the horse pasture and opened the gate so he could bring the skidsteer into the horse barn, where the distressed heifer was laying on her side, half bloated and not able to get up. I know, horse barn, dairy heifer....they just don't go, but that's a story for another day.


We put a rope halter on her, tied it to the skidsteer and slowly pulled her so she could get her legs under her body and get up. I had little faith in this operation. All I could see was me running to the house for a sharp kitchen knife and both of us standing over her wondering where to make the cut to relieve the pressure. But, as God would have it....she popped up, stood there for a minute to catch her breath and now she is standing at the bunk eating with all the other heifers. Wow....such drama at such an early hour!


And that is why I'm so late! Now tomorrow I hope to share a few photos with you. Yesterday I received an urgent email from Holstein International wanting a picture of me for my new column that will debut in January. This was due a couple of weeks ago, but I actually forgot, well, no, really I just never had a good enough hair day to make a good picture.


So yesterday I threw the camera at Sarah and said, come on...you've got to take some pictures.


Here's a sneak preview!

Comments

Anonymous said…
Woman, that is a good hair day? ph

Popular posts from this blog

Big bucks spent at Butlerview Sale

Good morning from the Knolltop . It's balmy here! When we went across the road at 4:30 this morning it was 45 out and the temp is climbing...yes it smells and feels like spring and I love it....but I know it won't last. Because no one else on the web has decided to report on it, I will give a tidbit of the Butlerview Parade of Perfection Sale that happened last weekend in Elkhorn Wisconsin. The sale averaged $19,845 on 124 lots and the sale gross was....are you ready.....sit down for this one.....$2,460,800.00! Amazing isn't it? There were buyers from 23 states and Canada and the high seller was Lot 8 at $190,000 purchased by Triple Crown Genetics, Kingsmill Farm & Gene Iager . The next highest consignment was Lot 1 at $155,000 purchased by David Ludwig of Illinois and the third highest was Lot 46 at $96,000 and Mike Garrow & Gerald Todd went home with that bargain. Apparently it was a high intensity sale with well over 800 people in attendance. I just w...
JW is at it again with marketing goodies for his Senior Trip. And this is what he left on my stove after his entrepreneurial chocolate fest! Monday he bought the molds and chocolate and made some samples to take to school. Tuesday he took his pretty packages of goodies and handed them out, took the orders and sold $96 worth of chocolates! With the pretty boxes and bags his Nana sent up from Georgia, he melted his chocolate, put them in molds, stuck them in the freezer, tapped them out of the molds and put them in some fancy boxes and bags. This morning he took a laundry basket full of bags and boxes to deliver at school. I'm amazed at how a little packaging can take ordinary chocolate...and I mean ORDINARY...we're not talking Dove or Cadbury ....ORDINARY chocolate and make it into something people will buy. Just amazing!

Table Linens

Good Morning from a cool and kind of cloudy Knolltop! Wasn't that elf thing funny? I had a friend from PA send that to me and I laughed for at least 10 minutes. Then when I collected myself, I made one with my kids and me. You can only have five elves, so I didn't stick Bobby in...I should have! What a hoot! When the kids got home they watched it and we all laughed together! Then while we were milking we were trying to do the dance moves...of course we weren't nearly as good in our barn clothes as we are in our elf outfits! I said I would share a little more of thanksgiving, so I will now. Today's topic is simple. Linen. More specifically, linen tableclothes. My mom and I love linens and she has a boatload of old linens her mom gave to her. She loves to starch and iron them and hang them up to admire. I have to admit, there is nothing better than a freshly starched tablecloth. Then it was time to set the table for Thanksgiving we practially had a tablecloth unveiling. S...