Skip to main content

Another Monday

We've been blessed with some sunny days lately and after the snow in April, I'd say we're due! Yesterday afternoon, my youngest son Jake was chomping at the bit to get his Allis out and drag the garden. My garden is an extension of the neighbors field and he plows it every year. Then after the field is planted and my garden is tilled, my kind neighbor always comes down and plants at least 10 rows of sweetcorn for me. He says he's just getting rid of what he has left over, I know he's being a good neighbor. This year, he planted 8 rows and was planning on coming down with another variety in a couple of weeks. The rest of the garden needed to be planted, but I just hadn't gotten to it yet and there were some weeds starting to sprout. Jake spotted the weeds and felt the need to take care of them for me. Knowing he might plow up my sweetcorn, I was hesitant to allow him in my garden, but then I relented and said if his older brother Luke helped him then they could drag the garden. As I watched farmer Jake drive his antique tractor back and forth across my garden my heart melted. It was such a beautiful picture of him...but then upon closer inspection that melted heart turned to stone as I noticed half of my sweetcorn rows had disappeared! I was upset for a few minutes, but then looked into my little farmers eyes and realized the value of that sweetcorn couldn't compare to the value of Jake's small farming experience. Boys, you gotta love 'em!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Big bucks spent at Butlerview Sale

Good morning from the Knolltop . It's balmy here! When we went across the road at 4:30 this morning it was 45 out and the temp is climbing...yes it smells and feels like spring and I love it....but I know it won't last. Because no one else on the web has decided to report on it, I will give a tidbit of the Butlerview Parade of Perfection Sale that happened last weekend in Elkhorn Wisconsin. The sale averaged $19,845 on 124 lots and the sale gross was....are you ready.....sit down for this one.....$2,460,800.00! Amazing isn't it? There were buyers from 23 states and Canada and the high seller was Lot 8 at $190,000 purchased by Triple Crown Genetics, Kingsmill Farm & Gene Iager . The next highest consignment was Lot 1 at $155,000 purchased by David Ludwig of Illinois and the third highest was Lot 46 at $96,000 and Mike Garrow & Gerald Todd went home with that bargain. Apparently it was a high intensity sale with well over 800 people in attendance. I just w...
JW is at it again with marketing goodies for his Senior Trip. And this is what he left on my stove after his entrepreneurial chocolate fest! Monday he bought the molds and chocolate and made some samples to take to school. Tuesday he took his pretty packages of goodies and handed them out, took the orders and sold $96 worth of chocolates! With the pretty boxes and bags his Nana sent up from Georgia, he melted his chocolate, put them in molds, stuck them in the freezer, tapped them out of the molds and put them in some fancy boxes and bags. This morning he took a laundry basket full of bags and boxes to deliver at school. I'm amazed at how a little packaging can take ordinary chocolate...and I mean ORDINARY...we're not talking Dove or Cadbury ....ORDINARY chocolate and make it into something people will buy. Just amazing!

Table Linens

Good Morning from a cool and kind of cloudy Knolltop! Wasn't that elf thing funny? I had a friend from PA send that to me and I laughed for at least 10 minutes. Then when I collected myself, I made one with my kids and me. You can only have five elves, so I didn't stick Bobby in...I should have! What a hoot! When the kids got home they watched it and we all laughed together! Then while we were milking we were trying to do the dance moves...of course we weren't nearly as good in our barn clothes as we are in our elf outfits! I said I would share a little more of thanksgiving, so I will now. Today's topic is simple. Linen. More specifically, linen tableclothes. My mom and I love linens and she has a boatload of old linens her mom gave to her. She loves to starch and iron them and hang them up to admire. I have to admit, there is nothing better than a freshly starched tablecloth. Then it was time to set the table for Thanksgiving we practially had a tablecloth unveiling. S...