Knolltop Farm Wife (Melissa Hart)

Welcome to my blog! I'm a wife, mother of four and a self-employed freelance writer. In addition to writing, I am involved in producing several dairy magazines and am the editor of Dairy Agenda Today where I have a blog there as well! This is a place where I can get what's in my head, down on paper (the internet). I hope you find encouragement and maybe a giggle or two!
Follow me on instagram @farmwriter

Thursday, August 23, 2007

Clare County Fair

Yes, we did it...we actually drove off and left the farm to two responsible...teenage...boys. A cow had calved and I volunteered to stay home, but Big Daddy told me to go milk the cow, feed the calf and she would be fine. So, I milked the cow, fed the calf and she was fine.

We ventured north for almost three hours and went through the "Gateway to the North" to the Clare County Fair. When we drove up, Jake said, "Is this the fair where.....?" Then Sarah chimmed in and said, "No, this is the county fair where we....." And then I said, "No, we are now entering a county fair that none of us have ever been to....and that's really strange."

Over the years, Bobby has been to 49 states and every county fairgrounds from coast to coast..well, almost...as he travelled as a cattle fitter. That's how we met...at the Michigan State Fair....another story for another day.
Anyway, through my years working for the Farmers' Advance, I've spent a lot of summers going from fair to fair covering events. So it was very strange for us to drive into this fairgrounds and not know where the livestock barns were and the cleanest bathrooms and where our most favorite food stand was located.

After looking around we found the livestock barns and then tried to locate who was in charge. We found her and she turned out to be an old family friend. Actually the niece of my college roommate...she's practically family.


While Big Daddy went to judge the show, the kids and I were admiring the sheep and I kind of got caught up in looking at some Columbia Ewes. Then I began daydreaming about having my own flock of sheep....something I could have on my own and wondered if I could make any kind of a profit with them...and how great it would be to have lambs in the spring....then I spotted the shepherd of this flock I was admiring and I began a conversation with him. Pretty soon the dairy show was half over and I finally pulled myself away to go watch my husband do his thing.


I got there just in time to watch him judge showmanship and of course he loves kids and really enjoys interacting with them in the showring.

Every show he judges he introduces himself and gets to know their names and when he gives his reasons he calls them by their name. Of course you know who loves that??? Mom and grandma!

This was a small show, with a huge crowd and they were really into clapping and cheering. I don't think I've seen such cheering since the last time I was at World Dairy Expo and even there they are a little more sedate.

Meanwhile back at the ranch....the boys had things under control...with a few phone calls to us...they had success.

When we got home the barn and house were still standing...the cows still alive..and a little more confidence in the family unit was palpable.




3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! Brother cleans up pretty good!
Carole

Melissa Hart said...

Yes he does...!

Anonymous said...

Bobby and Melissa are doing a great job with their family... working together, staying together, enjoying the fruits of their labor.

The ups and downs of life will always be there, it's all in how you handle them.