Skip to main content

One more cow in Montana

It's a beautiful cool morning here on the Knolltop with a sunrise beyond compare.

Yesterday I was visiting with my mom, who happened to be at World Dairy Expo, I think everyone has gone there but me. Anyway, she and my dad were there to deliver an Ayrshire cow. My nephew in Montana, the one with the very lucritive "dairy ranch" had such a demand for milk out there that he needed another cow. Because he already had an Ayrshire and he's convinced they have better milk, another Ayrshire will now call the hills of Joliet, Montana home.

She will awaken to a sunrise in the east that will splash light on the Rocky Mountain Range that is just to the west of her pasture. She will bask in the dry climate and never have a worry of running out of companionship with her new herdmate, BetseyLou and the brood of Missouri Foxtrotters that also call this ranch home. Imagine, way out there, two dairy cows producing a product so high in value the city dwellers are willing to pay $7 a gallon for it while all I hear around here is how expensive $3.59 is for a gallon of milk. I think I'm milking cows in the wrong part of the country.

Well, to continue that swapping story, my parents met my nephew and my brother-in-law and his brother in Madison. They all had a good time enjoying the big show and then the Montanans headed back west and my parents headed back east around the lake.

I'd better get going, I've got a couple of columns to write today...plus all that wonderful other routine work that keeps me from becoming a couch potato.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Miss Barbara arrived safely on the hill overlooking Elbow Country. Fresh snow on the Beartooths and the Pryors. Got home about 5 am today. Couldn't sleep so I am at work. Nice story. Had a good visit with Gramp's and Gram's. Wonderful time at the Expo. Even got to visit a Cabela's store in Owatanno, MN. Tell Bobby and the gang hello. Hope to see you all again sometime.
Melissa Hart said…
Hey pryorvu...Glad Miss Barbara made it home safe and sound. Sounds heavenly there in MT. Glad you had such a great trip...it's nice to get away and nice to get home! Put this site on your favorites and stop in for a visit!
The Eastern Mel.
Anonymous said…
BETSY LOU she is very touchy about how to spell her name.

Popular posts from this blog

Big bucks spent at Butlerview Sale

Good morning from the Knolltop . It's balmy here! When we went across the road at 4:30 this morning it was 45 out and the temp is climbing...yes it smells and feels like spring and I love it....but I know it won't last. Because no one else on the web has decided to report on it, I will give a tidbit of the Butlerview Parade of Perfection Sale that happened last weekend in Elkhorn Wisconsin. The sale averaged $19,845 on 124 lots and the sale gross was....are you ready.....sit down for this one.....$2,460,800.00! Amazing isn't it? There were buyers from 23 states and Canada and the high seller was Lot 8 at $190,000 purchased by Triple Crown Genetics, Kingsmill Farm & Gene Iager . The next highest consignment was Lot 1 at $155,000 purchased by David Ludwig of Illinois and the third highest was Lot 46 at $96,000 and Mike Garrow & Gerald Todd went home with that bargain. Apparently it was a high intensity sale with well over 800 people in attendance. I just w...
JW is at it again with marketing goodies for his Senior Trip. And this is what he left on my stove after his entrepreneurial chocolate fest! Monday he bought the molds and chocolate and made some samples to take to school. Tuesday he took his pretty packages of goodies and handed them out, took the orders and sold $96 worth of chocolates! With the pretty boxes and bags his Nana sent up from Georgia, he melted his chocolate, put them in molds, stuck them in the freezer, tapped them out of the molds and put them in some fancy boxes and bags. This morning he took a laundry basket full of bags and boxes to deliver at school. I'm amazed at how a little packaging can take ordinary chocolate...and I mean ORDINARY...we're not talking Dove or Cadbury ....ORDINARY chocolate and make it into something people will buy. Just amazing!

Table Linens

Good Morning from a cool and kind of cloudy Knolltop! Wasn't that elf thing funny? I had a friend from PA send that to me and I laughed for at least 10 minutes. Then when I collected myself, I made one with my kids and me. You can only have five elves, so I didn't stick Bobby in...I should have! What a hoot! When the kids got home they watched it and we all laughed together! Then while we were milking we were trying to do the dance moves...of course we weren't nearly as good in our barn clothes as we are in our elf outfits! I said I would share a little more of thanksgiving, so I will now. Today's topic is simple. Linen. More specifically, linen tableclothes. My mom and I love linens and she has a boatload of old linens her mom gave to her. She loves to starch and iron them and hang them up to admire. I have to admit, there is nothing better than a freshly starched tablecloth. Then it was time to set the table for Thanksgiving we practially had a tablecloth unveiling. S...