Skip to main content

The big Surprise!

Good Sunday morning from the Knolltop! It's kind of sunny and kind of hazy today.



Where do I start? The last couple of days getting ready for Bobby's surprise visit from his mom and sister were extremely busy. On Friday I was able to get the house mostly clean and the laundry done....you could even see the laundry room floor! As I hustled around I made the kids do some odd jobs that they don't normally do, I thought for sure Bobby would become suspicious...but he didn't.



After JW's game Friday night, they split the double header and he got to pitch and did a great job...we came home and I continued to do laundry and to make sure they took care of their things before they went to bed.



On Saturday morning as we rushed out the door to Sarah's volleyball tournament, Bobby's birthday breakfast was uneventful with the kids barely saying happy birthday, no cards were given and I was all about having the kids do their dishes so the kitchen was clean and telling Luke to finish putting out the mulch before we left. Honestly, Luke putting out mulch at 7:30 in the morning? Surely I thought Bobby would think that was odd and start to question the clean house, the fresh mulch and the absence of the Christmas tree on the front porch....but he didn't.



While at the tournament, he called me to see when I might be coming home. I just told him I didn't know when I'd be home and that Sarah's team kept winning so they would be playing longer. In the meantime, I had fielded several calls from Nana telling me where she was and when they got closer "Operation Surprise" went into action.



Sarah had to ride home with someone else while Luke, Jake and I started home. We made a quick stop for a card and some goodies and then arrived home to find Bobby and JW sitting in the livingroom reading. It was all quite calm here. The house was clean and we were ready for the big moment. I didn't want to fix dinner because we were going out later, so I had to come up with something to eat if they didn't get here quick. Not seeing any sign of them, I began to slowly get dinner on the table. JW took Bobby out and lured him into playing catch while I stalled in the kitchen.



Carole was supposed to call when they got close and she was going to talk to Bobby while they drove in the driveway. No call. A few minutes later and still no call. I had to put dinner on the table soon because the cows needed to be milked. So I just put out stuff for sandwiches and called them into eat.



Bobby sarcastically said, "Boy, you went all out today!" I replied, "Well, it is your birthday, I wanted to do something special for you!" We sat and ate and still no call. Several cars came down the road and still no call. With every cloud of dust, I looked down the road, but still nothing.



Finally the phone rang and it was Carole. They visited while JW and I kept looking down the road. It seemed like an eternity before they finally came driving up the road and into the driveway. Still talking on the phone Bobby looked at me and mouthed, "Who is that?" I shrugged my shoulders and waited.....when they got out of the car he started laughing and everyone started hugging and laughing. It was great!



The kids and I did chores while they went to town to get cake and ice cream. Then we went to dinner and back home for cake. It was a great surprise and Bobby woke up this morning saying, I still can't believe you kept that a secret! He keeps asking who knew about it and I said, everyone knew about it but you! (I told you he didn't read my blog)



Aunt Carole, the mother of two great grown boys and now the mother in law of a beautiful daughter in law, was a big hit! After dinner the boys and I were walking out and they commented, "Aunt Carole reminds me a lot of you mom, but she's a way cooler mom than you!" Although it was backwards, I'll take that as a compliment.



As of this morning, Aunt Carole and the big boys are planning a trip to Dallas where she will spoil them rotton. She has planned a fishing trip, a Ranger's game, sleeping in and swimming all day in her pool. I want to go too!

It was a great time....and Bobby said one of his best birthdays ever!


Jake had gotten into a squabble with Luke, so he wasn't in the picture taking mood.

Now we are off to Toledo for Luke's basketball tournament....life never stops.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Big bucks spent at Butlerview Sale

Good morning from the Knolltop . It's balmy here! When we went across the road at 4:30 this morning it was 45 out and the temp is climbing...yes it smells and feels like spring and I love it....but I know it won't last. Because no one else on the web has decided to report on it, I will give a tidbit of the Butlerview Parade of Perfection Sale that happened last weekend in Elkhorn Wisconsin. The sale averaged $19,845 on 124 lots and the sale gross was....are you ready.....sit down for this one.....$2,460,800.00! Amazing isn't it? There were buyers from 23 states and Canada and the high seller was Lot 8 at $190,000 purchased by Triple Crown Genetics, Kingsmill Farm & Gene Iager . The next highest consignment was Lot 1 at $155,000 purchased by David Ludwig of Illinois and the third highest was Lot 46 at $96,000 and Mike Garrow & Gerald Todd went home with that bargain. Apparently it was a high intensity sale with well over 800 people in attendance. I just w...
JW is at it again with marketing goodies for his Senior Trip. And this is what he left on my stove after his entrepreneurial chocolate fest! Monday he bought the molds and chocolate and made some samples to take to school. Tuesday he took his pretty packages of goodies and handed them out, took the orders and sold $96 worth of chocolates! With the pretty boxes and bags his Nana sent up from Georgia, he melted his chocolate, put them in molds, stuck them in the freezer, tapped them out of the molds and put them in some fancy boxes and bags. This morning he took a laundry basket full of bags and boxes to deliver at school. I'm amazed at how a little packaging can take ordinary chocolate...and I mean ORDINARY...we're not talking Dove or Cadbury ....ORDINARY chocolate and make it into something people will buy. Just amazing!

Table Linens

Good Morning from a cool and kind of cloudy Knolltop! Wasn't that elf thing funny? I had a friend from PA send that to me and I laughed for at least 10 minutes. Then when I collected myself, I made one with my kids and me. You can only have five elves, so I didn't stick Bobby in...I should have! What a hoot! When the kids got home they watched it and we all laughed together! Then while we were milking we were trying to do the dance moves...of course we weren't nearly as good in our barn clothes as we are in our elf outfits! I said I would share a little more of thanksgiving, so I will now. Today's topic is simple. Linen. More specifically, linen tableclothes. My mom and I love linens and she has a boatload of old linens her mom gave to her. She loves to starch and iron them and hang them up to admire. I have to admit, there is nothing better than a freshly starched tablecloth. Then it was time to set the table for Thanksgiving we practially had a tablecloth unveiling. S...