Knolltop Farm Wife (Melissa Hart)

Welcome to my blog! I'm a wife, mother of four and a self-employed freelance writer. In addition to writing, I am involved in producing several dairy magazines and am the editor of Dairy Agenda Today where I have a blog there as well! This is a place where I can get what's in my head, down on paper (the internet). I hope you find encouragement and maybe a giggle or two!
Follow me on instagram @farmwriter

Tuesday, July 19, 2022

Fill Your Spot

 “Sometimes it’s better to appear a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.”

That was a quote my dad repeated often. Not in a derogatory way, but he knew that I needed to listen more and talk less. I was the talker in the family.  My report cards from elementary school always had a comment from the teacher about excessive talking in class.  I was constantly ‘shushed’ at the library, so much so that I hated going there. Why would we all go into a room and not talk?

While I’ve tempered my tongue slightly, I still tend to ask questions, make suggestions without being asked and I usually speak up when I should quiet down. While at a show recently, I suggested to the ring steward that she move the final lineup of cattle to a different spot so that it was easier to get a better photo. She refused.  In fact, she didn’t speak to me for the rest of the show. I told my husband about it and he kindly explained to me that sometimes I come on a little strong. Years ago, that would have crushed me, and I would have found myself bent over backward trying to please her and apologizing profusely.  Today, not so much.

God created all of us with a unique personality and gave us a spot on this earth with purpose and a plan. Some of us are talkers, others remain quiet and pensive.  Some of us move in quickly trying to fix a problem while others stand back and evaluate. Some of us like to share our opinions, while others would rather chase renegade cows back to their pasture than speak their mind.

But no matter your temperament or personality, whether you like libraries or get your energy from talking with crowds of people, your contribution to this world is not only necessary but it’s expected. Maybe you lack confidence and fear grips your gumption. Throw that fear off and do the scary thing. Someone somewhere is depending on your fearlessness and needs your influence.  Whether it’s your spouse, your children, or your employees, show up, work to your greatest potential, and fill that spot created just for you.

No comments: