Skip to main content

Too much excitment!

It's a warm, sunny day today here on the Knolltop.

It's been a rough twenty four hours for the birthday boy. Too much cake? Too much excitment? He's getting old? Whatever the reason, Bobby has been flat on his back since yesterday morning, sicker than a dog. Poor guy! I think it's a stomach bug that has just wreaked havac on his whole body. He is now taking on liquids and keeping them down, so that's a good thing.

So with the boss down and out, the kids had to step it up....and they did. Working in the barn until 8:30 last night, the boys got in and I told them I didn't know what I'd do without them! And I really don't!

Twenty eight years ago today my family buried my brother Tim. He was killed in a car accident at the young age of 19. It was a very difficult time for the whole family, but I write about this not because I want to lament over it...but because I have now learned that time heals all wounds.

At that point in our lives, you could've told us that, but we wouldn't have believed you. Today talking about Tim and remembering all the silly, stupid, risky things he did that made him who he was, is a joy. I really try to talk about him to my kids so they have some idea who he was. And now as I speak of him, it's not with a lump in my throat or tears about to well up in my eyes, I can talk about him with a smile on my face on the edge of laughter.

So to those of you who have lost a loved one lately, be encouraged. Your sorrow really will turn into joy....in time. God says in His word that he will turn our mourning into dancing! That is a promise you can count on.

Comments

threecollie said…
First I am sorry for your long ago loss and glad you can hold him close in your heart.
Second, I must echo the simple wonderfulness of farm kids and the way they step into the breech when there is illness or trouble on a farm. It never fails to amaze me how they take hold and do what needs to be done!
Anonymous said…
How old was Tim when he got his pilot's licence?
Francis and Pat

Popular posts from this blog

Big bucks spent at Butlerview Sale

Good morning from the Knolltop . It's balmy here! When we went across the road at 4:30 this morning it was 45 out and the temp is climbing...yes it smells and feels like spring and I love it....but I know it won't last. Because no one else on the web has decided to report on it, I will give a tidbit of the Butlerview Parade of Perfection Sale that happened last weekend in Elkhorn Wisconsin. The sale averaged $19,845 on 124 lots and the sale gross was....are you ready.....sit down for this one.....$2,460,800.00! Amazing isn't it? There were buyers from 23 states and Canada and the high seller was Lot 8 at $190,000 purchased by Triple Crown Genetics, Kingsmill Farm & Gene Iager . The next highest consignment was Lot 1 at $155,000 purchased by David Ludwig of Illinois and the third highest was Lot 46 at $96,000 and Mike Garrow & Gerald Todd went home with that bargain. Apparently it was a high intensity sale with well over 800 people in attendance. I just w...
JW is at it again with marketing goodies for his Senior Trip. And this is what he left on my stove after his entrepreneurial chocolate fest! Monday he bought the molds and chocolate and made some samples to take to school. Tuesday he took his pretty packages of goodies and handed them out, took the orders and sold $96 worth of chocolates! With the pretty boxes and bags his Nana sent up from Georgia, he melted his chocolate, put them in molds, stuck them in the freezer, tapped them out of the molds and put them in some fancy boxes and bags. This morning he took a laundry basket full of bags and boxes to deliver at school. I'm amazed at how a little packaging can take ordinary chocolate...and I mean ORDINARY...we're not talking Dove or Cadbury ....ORDINARY chocolate and make it into something people will buy. Just amazing!

Table Linens

Good Morning from a cool and kind of cloudy Knolltop! Wasn't that elf thing funny? I had a friend from PA send that to me and I laughed for at least 10 minutes. Then when I collected myself, I made one with my kids and me. You can only have five elves, so I didn't stick Bobby in...I should have! What a hoot! When the kids got home they watched it and we all laughed together! Then while we were milking we were trying to do the dance moves...of course we weren't nearly as good in our barn clothes as we are in our elf outfits! I said I would share a little more of thanksgiving, so I will now. Today's topic is simple. Linen. More specifically, linen tableclothes. My mom and I love linens and she has a boatload of old linens her mom gave to her. She loves to starch and iron them and hang them up to admire. I have to admit, there is nothing better than a freshly starched tablecloth. Then it was time to set the table for Thanksgiving we practially had a tablecloth unveiling. S...