Knolltop Farm Wife (Melissa Hart)

Welcome to my blog! I'm a wife, mother of four and a self-employed freelance writer. In addition to writing, I am involved in producing several dairy magazines and am the editor of Dairy Agenda Today where I have a blog there as well! This is a place where I can get what's in my head, down on paper (the internet). I hope you find encouragement and maybe a giggle or two!
Follow me on instagram @farmwriter

Thursday, November 8, 2018

Where my Inspiration Comes From


I heard last week that people need to be inspired. It’s easy to be negative but it takes energy and effort to be positive, optimistic and yes, it takes a whole lot more than mediocrity to be inspired.
I have my bouts with negativity.  There are days when inspiration is easy and others when I’m praying for it because every fiber in my body is saying, “Blah, blah, blah.”

My latest inspiration came a week ago when on a dreary, cold, fall day I picked up a 15-year-old boy who needed a ride to the school to catch the bus that was going to the FFA Broiler contest. This young man had every reason to stay in his warm bed that morning until the school bus came. But instead he was peeking out the window at 5:45 a.m., waiting for me to drive up so he could hop in, with a bright, sunny attitude and start the conversation with, “How are you this morning Mrs. Hart?” That’s where I get my inspiration.

 I was standing behind Munsell’s Poultry Processing in Fowlerville, Michigan, where FFA students were lined up with crates full of broiler chickens.  These teenagers were cold, but enthusiastic as they waited for their turn to hang their broilers and wait for the reveal of their hard work from the last five weeks of raising chickens.  These were youth absent of any farm experience and some were going to watch a broiler be harvested for the very first time. Teenagers just standing there, in the cold, waiting, wondering and absolutely willing to step up to the plate for whatever was ahead of them.  That’s where I find my inspiration.

For four days I was assisted by five college students and together we covered ten cow shows in Louisville, Kentucky.  They were expected to work without complaint, provide good show coverage and I told them to bring a good work ethic and a sense of humor. 

The Dairy Agenda Today staff.....working hard!
This group works well together! From left: Hannah Dye, Allie Bourne
Kyle Schafer, Sarah Hart and Sabra Jackson.


We worked, we laughed, and I did not hear one complaint. When you have the privilege of working with young adults like these, inspiration is easy to find and I’m extremely grateful to have the opportunity to simply be around them.  Their enthusiasm is infectious and the hope in humanity is boundless.   





The future looks bright for our youth in agriculture. I encourage anyone to take advantage of every opportunity to interact with these youngsters and spur them on to greatness.  I guarantee that you will end up being the one inspired!

No comments: