Knolltop Farm Wife (Melissa Hart)

Welcome to my blog! I'm a wife, mother of four and a self-employed freelance writer. In addition to writing, I am involved in producing several dairy magazines and am the editor of Dairy Agenda Today where I have a blog there as well! This is a place where I can get what's in my head, down on paper (the internet). I hope you find encouragement and maybe a giggle or two!
Follow me on instagram @farmwriter

Sunday, February 27, 2011

My Young Lady in Agriculture

It's been a very icy week here on the Knolltop!  The kids had the week off from school simply because a bunch of frozen water...who would've thought?

I had the privilege of speaking last week at the Michigan Farm Bureau Young Farmers group in a session called, Roles of Women in Agriculture.  Needless to say, I had a ball sharing with these ladies and getting to know a few more women in agriculture. 

While I was away from the farm, I had my own young lady in agriculture filling my shoes at home.  My daughter Sarah took over my role to make sure everyone had something to eat and then headed to the barn to milk the cows.  When I pulled in the driveway, I hurried out to the barn to help Sarah finish the chores.  While milking, she asked how my day went and then began asking what I shared with women.  I told her that women in agriculture are a very unique group.  They are determined, hard working and tenacious.  Then she asked what tenacious meant.  I told her it was someone who doesn't give up, who works hard at getting something accomplished and won't stop until it's done. 

Then, like a light bulb turning on in my head I realized Sarah was a part of this unique group.  So I shared that with her and began telling her how impressive she is and how she displays all the wonderful qualities of this group of women. 

Then she said something that epitomized exactly what I had been saying, exactly what Women in Agriculture are all about; she said, "Whatever it takes to get the job done."

I looked at her and said, "Wow, Sarah, do you realize that not every 15 year old girl has that kind of an attitude? You are one of a kind and I'm so glad that God gave you to me!"

Sarah continues to amaze me with her initiative to get things done and to work up to the level that is expected.  Not hearing any complaints when I ask her to do one more thing before she leaves the barn is so very satisfying for this mom. She is like a cool drink of water on a hot desert like day.  She is awesome!

1 comment:

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.