Skip to main content

Just When You Think You Know Someone

 By Melissa HartIt is not lost on me that I have one of the best jobs in the world. Traveling is fun but traveling to so many state fairs and cattle shows is something I have enjoyed my entire life.  I think I inherited the love of a cattle show from my mom, who would have spent her entire summer on the road showing something anywhere she could if she had not been busy with a family and a farm.


When I interviewed Alta Mae Core of Salvisa, Kentucky for our DAT Extra podcast, I realized she lived that life with her parents.  They went from show to show all summer long and last weekend, as a grandmother, I followed her into Broadbent Arena with a spring calf and followed her out with the Supreme Champion of the Kentucky State Fair.

There is just something about the smell of shavings and the sound of clippers with hair flying that reminds us that we are near people we can relate to….we are home.

We started our state fair coverage in Columbus at the Ohio State Fair. This fair is long because there are two weekends of coverage.  The exhibitors are fantastic, the staff is second to none and I feel at home.  But I’m amazed at what I’m still learning about the people I work side by side with and have for years. 

Erica Davis is an essential part of our coverage at the Ohio State Fair, but she also helps in the dairy entry office as well. This year she helped with the Ohio State Fair agricultural promotion program where she helped take care of calves that were on display for the public to pet and the cows that were there for the public to try their hand at milking.

One evening after a long day in the show ring, I went along with her to help take care of the cows and calves that had been on display.  She milked both the cows, I helped feed and clean up the mess and my plan was to head back to the hotel and go to sleep.

She was finishing up with the four calves that were real attention hogs.  They loved the public and the public loved them and as she was getting ready to leave, the fairgoers standing around the pen started to pepper her with questions.  What breed is this? Does it hurt when they suck on your hand? Do they still drink milk? How big will they get? Why do they have such long eyelashes?

At this point, I was “peopled out” and happy to just listen.  Erica was not.  She engaged with each person and went into more detail with every question.  She took her time and waited for the follow up questions and answered those too.  She was in no hurry, as long as they were going to ask questions, she was there to answer. I knew Erica liked to visit, but I had no idea she was such a strong advocate bridging the gap between rural and urban America.

These are the types of people we need in our industry who will not just spew facts or argue a point of view, but will engage with people, speak their language and at their level.  As removed as society is from production agriculture, the opportunities to teach people and relay a healthy perspective to the modern culture becomes more and more important every day.

I’ve said it so many times before and I will continue to say it again, I work with the best people. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Big bucks spent at Butlerview Sale

Good morning from the Knolltop . It's balmy here! When we went across the road at 4:30 this morning it was 45 out and the temp is climbing...yes it smells and feels like spring and I love it....but I know it won't last. Because no one else on the web has decided to report on it, I will give a tidbit of the Butlerview Parade of Perfection Sale that happened last weekend in Elkhorn Wisconsin. The sale averaged $19,845 on 124 lots and the sale gross was....are you ready.....sit down for this one.....$2,460,800.00! Amazing isn't it? There were buyers from 23 states and Canada and the high seller was Lot 8 at $190,000 purchased by Triple Crown Genetics, Kingsmill Farm & Gene Iager . The next highest consignment was Lot 1 at $155,000 purchased by David Ludwig of Illinois and the third highest was Lot 46 at $96,000 and Mike Garrow & Gerald Todd went home with that bargain. Apparently it was a high intensity sale with well over 800 people in attendance. I just w...
JW is at it again with marketing goodies for his Senior Trip. And this is what he left on my stove after his entrepreneurial chocolate fest! Monday he bought the molds and chocolate and made some samples to take to school. Tuesday he took his pretty packages of goodies and handed them out, took the orders and sold $96 worth of chocolates! With the pretty boxes and bags his Nana sent up from Georgia, he melted his chocolate, put them in molds, stuck them in the freezer, tapped them out of the molds and put them in some fancy boxes and bags. This morning he took a laundry basket full of bags and boxes to deliver at school. I'm amazed at how a little packaging can take ordinary chocolate...and I mean ORDINARY...we're not talking Dove or Cadbury ....ORDINARY chocolate and make it into something people will buy. Just amazing!

Table Linens

Good Morning from a cool and kind of cloudy Knolltop! Wasn't that elf thing funny? I had a friend from PA send that to me and I laughed for at least 10 minutes. Then when I collected myself, I made one with my kids and me. You can only have five elves, so I didn't stick Bobby in...I should have! What a hoot! When the kids got home they watched it and we all laughed together! Then while we were milking we were trying to do the dance moves...of course we weren't nearly as good in our barn clothes as we are in our elf outfits! I said I would share a little more of thanksgiving, so I will now. Today's topic is simple. Linen. More specifically, linen tableclothes. My mom and I love linens and she has a boatload of old linens her mom gave to her. She loves to starch and iron them and hang them up to admire. I have to admit, there is nothing better than a freshly starched tablecloth. Then it was time to set the table for Thanksgiving we practially had a tablecloth unveiling. S...