Knolltop Farm Wife (Melissa Hart)

Welcome to my blog! I'm a wife, mother of four and a self-employed freelance writer. In addition to writing, I am involved in producing several dairy magazines and am the editor of Dairy Agenda Today where I have a blog there as well! This is a place where I can get what's in my head, down on paper (the internet). I hope you find encouragement and maybe a giggle or two!
Follow me on instagram @farmwriter

Tuesday, November 25, 2008

The new B.J.

It's a very snowy morning here on the Knolltop. It's started yesterday morning and made drivers start creeping down the road and now we've got a couple schools closed this morning. Much to my children's dismay, our school is in session today.

I have a new milking partner. She wears a pink Michigan State hat and a pink sweatshirt and I call her B.J. She's probably... no she IS the best milking partner I've had. She's easy to get along with, she keeps up with the milkers and is not easily distracted. She takes direction with respect and keeps her mind on her job. She even keeps me on my toes.

Last evening while we were milking I changed a milker and stepped back into the center isle. She looked at the cow that was just milked and then looked at me and asked, "Did you dip her?" Indignant, I replied, "Of course." She said, "Oh, well it just didn't look like it." I turned and looked and was confident that I had dipped her even though she didn't look like she had a drop of dip on any of her four teats. I slid a little closer and then bent over to inspect my dipping job and discovered she was a clean as a whistle...no dip at all.

I looked at B.J. and said, "You were right, I hadn't dipped her, thanks." She just smiled.

Then I gave her a new name. That beautiful daughter that was born almost 13 years ago that delighted my life and has made my world a better place and consistently keeps me on schedule, on task and on time was now going to be known as B.J.....Bobby Junior.

1 comment:

threecollie said...

Isn't it great! Good for you for raising such fine kids and glad you are enjoying the fruits of it....I am reveling in reaching the age where I can learn from the kids...what fun!