Knolltop Farm Wife (Melissa Hart)

Welcome to my blog! I'm a wife, mother of four and a self-employed freelance writer. In addition to writing, I am involved in producing several dairy magazines and am the editor of Dairy Agenda Today where I have a blog there as well! This is a place where I can get what's in my head, down on paper (the internet). I hope you find encouragement and maybe a giggle or two!
Follow me on instagram @farmwriter

Monday, May 12, 2008

My children are the BEST!

Who had the best Mothers Day? ME!

Good morning from an overcast, 40 degree Knolltop! Yesterday was another great day for this mom. It started with my most favorite morning greeting in the world...."You stay in bed honey, the kids and I are going to do the chores!" YES! So, I dropped back into bed and obeyed!

I slept until 6:30 and then finally got up and made breakfast for everyone....since we were out of cereal and I didn't want my kids to have to come in from the barn and then scrounge around the kitchen trying to make anything from scratch. Although, I don't think they were planning making breakfast....but....you never know so I saved them the trouble.

When we got home from church, I changed clothes and settled in for a rainy day Sunday afternoon nap. When I woke up, I heard whispering...something was up....but what? I went to the kitchen and started making cookies and took some ground beef out for hamburgers on the grill. The older boys were getting ready to walk out the door when I asked them where they were going, they said they had to run to Buddies to get something for Daddy. By the smirk on their faces I could tell that's not exactly where they were headed. So...trying to make them squirm just a bit more, I asked them to pick up some hamburger buns and some chips for me....they quickly said yes and were almost out the door, but then JW walked over to Sarah and whispered some instructions. I acted like I had no idea what was going on and continued to work in the kitchen.

As I worked in the kitchen preparing for the meal, Jake finally said, "Mom, why don't you just go lay down!" Sarah sneered at him and said, "Jake, you're going to give it away!" I agreed I should just lay down and that's what I did until the boys arrived back home 30 minutes later.

They walked in with pizza and said, "Wow, mom, did you know that they sold pizza at Buddies? It's a new thing they're doing now!" They were so proud of themselves I couldn't let on that I knew anything....so I just acted surprised!

It was a real treat to have my kids do that for me. I also received a bouquet of hand picked flowers and a card from Sarah and Jake made a couple of special projects in school for me. What a great day!

And what did I do for my mom? Well, she got to spend a day watching game after game after game after game after game of volleyball at Sarah's tournament on Saturday. She and my dad came down and after watching a couple hours of volleyball, dad took us to lunch at this really great cafe...which when he picked it out, I was very leery of eating there, but it turned out to be a great lunch......I really should learn to trust my dad and his eating establishment choices. Then we went back and watched more volleyball until the last ball was bumped!

So...moms...time to report in...what did you do for your special day?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I watched my granddaughter be baptised, in a gown that her mother used, I probably was and maybe my dad was too.
Watching my daughter and husband and thinking of all the nieces and nephews that we all supported 20-30 some years ago. Memories! We are truly blessed. ph

Anonymous said...

AMEN
Francis and Pat