Knolltop Farm Wife (Melissa Hart)

Welcome to my blog! I'm a wife, mother of four and a self-employed freelance writer. In addition to writing, I am involved in producing several dairy magazines and am the editor of Dairy Agenda Today where I have a blog there as well! This is a place where I can get what's in my head, down on paper (the internet). I hope you find encouragement and maybe a giggle or two!
Follow me on instagram @farmwriter

Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Great movies and HSUS

Good morning from the Knolltop. It's sunny and windy and cold here this morning. The kids have another day off so my schedule is out of whack.

Yesterday morning Bobby and I pulled a calf that was coming backwards...and yes, it was another heifer! Her feet were way down and she was coming butt first. So Bobby had to get in there and manipulate her around so she was at least coming hind feet first. I didn't think she was going to be alive when we delivered her, but when she came sliding out and she shook her head I was elated that indeed this little calf was alive.

Last evening I was given a real treat. I popped our popcorn and went into the bedroom where Bobby was watching TV and there was one of my favorite movies on...Gone with the Wind. Is there any better movie? No, I don't think so. I watched it from beginning to end and will pay for it at about 4 pm today when I will have an overwhelming desire to fall asleep.

Now about the new ploy by HSUS to aboloish animal agriculture. I feel no need to rant and rave about it here...instead I urge all of you who make a living with livestock to write a letter to the editor of your local paper and assure your friends, neighbors and community that you don't agree with the torture of any animal and what the employees at the slaughter plant in California did was wrong. But don't shrink back into the corner and apologize for making a living from raising animals for human consumption. Remember, we are responsible stewards feeding the world and we need to make no apologies for that!

Trent Loos has plenty of coverage of this at his website and he does a great job of informing us of just what's happening outside of the mainstream media. Make sure you check out www.facesofag.com to read his commentary or listen to his radio programs.

No comments: