Knolltop Farm Wife (Melissa Hart)

Welcome to my blog! I'm a wife, mother of four and a self-employed freelance writer. In addition to writing, I am involved in producing several dairy magazines and am the editor of Dairy Agenda Today where I have a blog there as well! This is a place where I can get what's in my head, down on paper (the internet). I hope you find encouragement and maybe a giggle or two!
Follow me on instagram @farmwriter

Wednesday, February 27, 2008

The R.P Roll

It's a cold morning here, 8 degrees out and my feet are cold! I sat by the cornstove this morning to drink my coffee to try to warm up. I'd like to camp out there, but decided that wouldn't be a wise decision....maybe in my golden years I'll be able to sit in a rocking chair by the stove and enjoy the cold winter days on the inside looking out.

Yesterday we moved some hay and I had the wonderful priviledge of helping out. I have no idea why I was there, with two strong boys and a husband to handle the situation, I was of little assistance. But I provided comic relief and a good target for snowballs.

The hay loading process went like this: Bobby was in the mow throwing them to JW and JW was throwing them to me then I had to put them onto the wagon for Luke to stack. This was great because although my job seemed like the tough job at first turned out to be the easiest because of JW's perfecting of the R.P. roll.

So, what's the R.P. roll you ask? Glad you asked. My dad, Richard Peckens, taught his children how to roll a bale so you don't have to carry it as far. If you simply toss the bale so it hits on its corner, then it will roll two or three times further...depending on how good of a tosser you are. I have perfected the R.P. roll and now my boys have also perfected this essential farm skill too. Luke came up with the name.

So when JW was a good 15 feet from me, all he had to do was roll the bale to me in R.P. fashion and I just stood there, picked up the bale and put it on the wagon. Life is so much simpler with the R.P. Roll!

No comments: