Knolltop Farm Wife (Melissa Hart)

Welcome to my blog! I'm a wife, mother of four and a self-employed freelance writer. In addition to writing, I am involved in producing several dairy magazines and am the editor of Dairy Agenda Today where I have a blog there as well! This is a place where I can get what's in my head, down on paper (the internet). I hope you find encouragement and maybe a giggle or two!
Follow me on instagram @farmwriter

Monday, June 22, 2009

Happy Anniversary!

It's a beautiful, sunny, going to be hot Knolltop this morning!

First of all, let me say a belated Happy Father's Day! And a very Happy Anniversary to my parents. Okay, my sister, Ginny is 53, so that means my parents have been married 52 years today! NOT, just joking! My sister will be 51 this fall, so that means my parents have been married 52 years today! That's a long...long...long time!

One week ago today my sister and brother-in-law celebrated their 25th wedding anniversary and one week from today my brother and sister-in-law will celebrate their 13th anniversary! Everyone was married in June...except for me, I was the odd one, I got married in February.

It was an eventful weekend! First and most importantly, the first grandson on my side of the family announced his engagement! My second oldest nephew, John popped the question to his girlfriend, Kelsy. They are planning on a May wedding. If I could get my scanner to work I would post pictures of the sweet couple here, but I have to get that going first. There's always a stumbling block!


The other main event is that Holly had not one but two babies! Bobby, Jake and I went to the Indiana State Holstein Show in Goshen on Saturday so I could cover it for Dairy Agenda Today and when we got home, we walked the pasture to see what she was up to...since she's been looking like she was going to calve for two weeks now. When we approached her, we saw two heads pop up out of the grass!

That is the third set of twins is two weeks! And the fourth set this year! Unfortunately, it was a bull and a heifer. While we were hopeful enough to get her tested, the vet came by this morning and told us she was a freemartin. Yes, sad news, but Holly looks great! She's grown 2 more inches! Yes we got the stick out last night....we just couldn't resist!

With my new camera I can take video, so I did and then I messed around to see if I could post it here and it worked! This is so much fun....I can't wait to take more videos and post them! Wow, what a deal! By the way, Bobby was standing nearby talking on the phone while I was taping, so you can eavesdrop on his conversation!


2 comments:

PryovVu said...

PryorVu talked to our nephew on Saturday. He told of his engagement to his bride to be, Miss Kelsy. Pretty happy young man.
Weather is good in Montana, finally warming a bit. Garden is growing great, good recovery after the frost. Eating spinach, radishes and brocolli so far. Kohlorabi look ripe for the plucking. Soon should have new potatoes.
Farmers are busy with their first cutting of hay, and man does there look like there will be lots of hay. Corn fields look amazing great also. Will be close to knee high by the 4th of July.
Grandma's 90th birthday party on the 5th of July. All will be home except for the nephew in Canada.

threecollie said...

What a shame that she is a freemartin. That is always so discouraging. Lovely cow though and great video!