Knolltop Farm Wife (Melissa Hart)

Welcome to my blog! I'm a wife, mother of four and a self-employed freelance writer. In addition to writing, I am involved in producing several dairy magazines and am the editor of Dairy Agenda Today where I have a blog there as well! This is a place where I can get what's in my head, down on paper (the internet). I hope you find encouragement and maybe a giggle or two!
Follow me on instagram @farmwriter

Wednesday, August 26, 2009

FIRE!

It's a cloudy day on the Knolltop and a bit cool too.

Why is it that my day begins with great intentions of getting so much done, but then by 9 am, I still don't have things done that should be done?

I don't know what I'm going to do when Sarah goes back to school. This morning I had her canning peaches and doing dishes while I blogged on Dairy Agenda Today and put out some fires. Speaking of fires, she had one last night and I'll tell you about it if you promise not to mention it to her!!!! You can't tell her I wrote about it!

While working on Dairy Agenda Today and keeping one ear open to the rest of the house, I heard Sarah stirring around in the kitchen and by the sounds of it, she was making popcorn. A few minutes later I heard the smoke alarm go off, no not the beeping kind, it was Jake yelling, "MOM, FIRE, MOM, FIRE, MOM, FIRE!" I ran out to the kitchen and sure enough there was a fire in the popcorn pot that Sarah had heated up.

When I saw the fire the second alarm started going off, no, not the beeping kind, me yelling, "BOBBY, FIRE, BOBBY, FIRE, BOBBY, FIRE!" Running around in circles wondering what in heaven's name I should do I didn't do anything until he came up with the great idea of putting a lid on it. I quickly got a cast iron lid and put on the pot and it was gone. WHEW!

Normally I thought I was pretty good in emergency situations, but not this one! I think I need my BFF Angie, aka, EMT, Firefighter from Calhoun County to come down and give me some private training! After she recovers from her combine derby experience from last week. Yes, the woman climbed in a combine and went "head to head" with a ring full of men in combines ready to take her out! Rumor has it she ended up with whiplash, bruises, a third place ribbon and a whole lot of pride! Way to go Angie! Better you than me!

1 comment:

The Myers Family said...

Some bruises remain...but would I do it again...heck yes. I did have alot of fun...but I was becoming quite mad at the guy who blindsided me when I was trying to get my machine running. His combine was as Doug says half again bigger than mine. Laugh if you must...people were saying that I was being pretty dramatic when I was hit by that other big combine...but it wasn't drama...I seriously got my clock cleaned. The one time I just sat there and shook my head, as in making sure all reasoning skills still remained. Bobby can laugh at that one. :) I was maybe hoping you would have come up to watch. I told my son, "Mamma needs a 5 point harness for a seatbelt next year. Coffee awaits soon!!