Knolltop Farm Wife (Melissa Hart)

Welcome to my blog! I'm a wife, mother of four and a self-employed freelance writer. In addition to writing, I am involved in producing several dairy magazines and am the editor of Dairy Agenda Today where I have a blog there as well! This is a place where I can get what's in my head, down on paper (the internet). I hope you find encouragement and maybe a giggle or two!
Follow me on instagram @farmwriter

Monday, November 12, 2007

Pies and illnesses

Good Morning from the Knolltop! It's another rainy, overcast day...but it was warm enough that I didn't have to wear my union suit under my barn clothes...that's a good thing.

Yesterday when I mentioned my mom making that unique Shaker Lemon Pie...I left out one minor detail and that is: My mom is the best pie baker in the world! Hands down...don't even tell me about your mom or grandma...they can't compare to the wonderful pies that my mom has made for years. She passed her lard crust recipe down to us girls and we continue to practice and practice to make as good a pie as she can...but to know avail...we come up short every time. So with that said...her making a pie that tasted so bad was not easy to accept and if that same pie were put down in front of me after supper today...I would still take a bite trying to convince myself that it really isn't that bad!

I see from the comment from yesterday that Patty can make a pretty good pie...maybe you should bring one down to me Patty and we'll just see if it's really as good as you claim....:)

In all seriousness Patty...you should really share your wonderful recipe with the rest of us...I would love to try it. I love pumpkin pie!

JW is home sick on the couch today...he's been sick for two days, he was sick on Saturday when he went to chop wood...but his love for money kept him going. Now he misses his first day of basketball practice. We're headed to the doctor this morning...no not because he's sick...because I've waited this long to get a sports physical for him...yes, I'm usually under the wire...I'm a writer for heaven's sake! That's what we do...get as close to the deadline as we can without missing it. And my husband hates that!

Time for breakfast!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thirty-eight in the "warm" south. The S. B. makes some mean pies, just ask Big Daddy. S B H

Anonymous said...

You must have an artist's soul.

An artist cannot be held to the confines of time. Time is too logical and art is the opposite of logic.

O.K. - so that is the excuse I use. I think it is a pretty good excuse for being a habitual procrastinator such as myself!

Beth in PA

Melissa Hart said...

Yes...that's it...I have an artists heart! That's why I procrastinate! Yes...Beth your so great..thank you! The next time I procrastinate I will just tell Big Daddy, I have an artist heart! I'll let you know how that goes over...:)