Knolltop Farm Wife (Melissa Hart)

Welcome to my blog! I'm a wife, mother of four and a self-employed freelance writer. In addition to writing, I am involved in producing several dairy magazines and am the editor of Dairy Agenda Today where I have a blog there as well! This is a place where I can get what's in my head, down on paper (the internet). I hope you find encouragement and maybe a giggle or two!
Follow me on instagram @farmwriter

Monday, November 5, 2007

The big day

It's a breezy cool morning here on the Knolltop. The cows are milked and the kids are off to school. I went over and plugged the tractor in this morning on my way in from chores. The other morning it was a bit hard to start so I thought it might need a little warming up this morning.

I just talked with Bobby, he's all ready for the show...and it turns out the cows will show first so Holly will be in a little earlier than I expected. She will be in the ring at about 12:30 or 1:oo pm..we're guessing....if you want to see Holly live and in person...well kind of....go to http://www.livestockexpo.org/index.htm and click on Freedom Hall East Ring, then after a minute or so, it will show up and you can watch too!

Of course those of you who think I'm about as silly as I could be about a cow showing at a national show, you are probably thinking I'm out of my tree about all of this...but this is what breeding purebred cattle is all about. You breed for a good one and when you think you have one then you take her to a show and see how she measures up to the other good ones out there and if she wins you're on the right track, if she stands at the bottom you know what you have to work on and you go home and reevaluate your breeding program. At least that's what I think it's about. Of course, here at the Knolltop, we think Holly is beautiful no matter where she stands and when she stands in her stall and we can look at her every day we think we're blessed as all get out! So when she comes home tomorrow with whatever color ribbon, she will still be our Holly that we enjoy feeding and milking and showing. (But a purple ribbon would be nice!)

Okay, now I have to head back out to the barn to clean gutters, sweep, feed a little more, clean the heifer pens and feed some hay to the outside heifers before I come in and wash dishes and do laundry...boy I wish the maid was coming today.

No comments: