Knolltop Farm Wife (Melissa Hart)

Welcome to my blog! I'm a wife, mother of four and a self-employed freelance writer. In addition to writing, I am involved in producing several dairy magazines and am the editor of Dairy Agenda Today where I have a blog there as well! This is a place where I can get what's in my head, down on paper (the internet). I hope you find encouragement and maybe a giggle or two!
Follow me on instagram @farmwriter

Monday, November 12, 2007

Water Displacement and pie making

Okay...little did I know my pie making abilities would be brought out to the light when I posted this pie thing. Yes, that's what happens when your college roommate reads your blog!

Julie I do remember my first solo attempt at making a pie in our Cedar Village apt. It was apple and I think Mick, Brit and Jamie were coming over that night for supper and we were going to study for a test in Farm Systems Management...a class that I needed a lot of help in and only one of these guys was from a farm...oh boy....what great study partners they were....NOT!

Anyway...as I remember Brit took a big bite of my wonderful pie and began laboring at chewing this creation...it was like he took a huge spoonful of peanut butter and couldn't get it off the roof of his mouth. It was so funny and I'm laughing as I type this.

You see, you have to measure the lard by the water displacement method....I hadn't mastered that little detail....I just filled the cup up with one cup of water and then put enough lard into the water until the lard reached the two cup line. I didn't press it below the water level the way you are supposed to. So...I had too much lard and it was really greasy and stuck to the roof of your mouth....and the guys let me know.

Thanks for the memory Jules....oh how soon I forgot that one night in Cedar Village in East Lansing, Michigan!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Mick, Brit and Jamie were probably not the best study partners but they were great for a laugh! Not bad to look at either - if I remember right! LOL
Jules