Knolltop Farm Wife (Melissa Hart)

Welcome to my blog! I'm a wife, mother of four and a self-employed freelance writer. In addition to writing, I am involved in producing several dairy magazines and am the editor of Dairy Agenda Today where I have a blog there as well! This is a place where I can get what's in my head, down on paper (the internet). I hope you find encouragement and maybe a giggle or two!
Follow me on instagram @farmwriter

Monday, November 19, 2007

Milking and resting

Good Monday morning from the Knolltop. It's a windy morning...I was chilly milking this morning in the barn. And I'm back to my long underwear...so it's cold, in my book.

Recently we've had three first calf heifers freshen and they've all been great to get along with. I'm always a little apprehensive about these gals since they are just learning what it's like to be a cow and the rigors of giving milk twice a day. It's tough business eating all you want and laying around as much as you like and not having to go anywhere to use the restroom. Really the toughest job they have is standing still for about five minutes while we milk them....tough life.

One of the heifers is Miranda and she has been a dream. She's giving 90 pounds and she's just two weeks fresh....which is awesome in our book. But she has one problem...she lets her milk down quickly and it doesn't take her long to milk out...BUT when she thinks she's done she just lays down.....with the milker still attached! We have to stand and monitor her cause she will lay down as quick as anything if you don't get that milker off. It's so funny. In the past we've had cows lay down while being milk but it's usually because they have a belly ache or a sore foot...but not because they think they're done!

I told Bobby that if she doesn't stop this I'm going to have to put a nail in my pocket and give her a poke when she decides she's done...a clever trick I learned from the late Holstein enthusiast and the man who never endeared himself to anyone but we loved him in spite of himself....George Robb.

If I had more time...I'd vent a little about another subject...how spoiled we Americans are! But I'll save that rant for another post.

Time to get on the day.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I sure hope you get the time because I would love to hear the rant about spoiled Americans.