Knolltop Farm Wife (Melissa Hart)

Welcome to my blog! I'm a wife, mother of four and a self-employed freelance writer. In addition to writing, I am involved in producing several dairy magazines and am the editor of Dairy Agenda Today where I have a blog there as well! This is a place where I can get what's in my head, down on paper (the internet). I hope you find encouragement and maybe a giggle or two!
Follow me on instagram @farmwriter

Tuesday, November 6, 2007

A Big Lesson

SNOW! It's spitting snow here on the Knolltop...we're just not ready for that yet!

Well the boys made it home last night and we're glad of it. I can breath a sigh of relief knowing the whole farm isn't on my shoulders anymore. I can handle the cooking, cleaning, laundry, calf feeding, pen cleaning, milking and writing..but don't give me all the feeding, cleaning, grinding and manure hauling. I just don't like having it all fall on me. I think of Mary Lou Topp in Ohio and when her husband died a premature death, the farm responsiblities fell on her and her boys. She took over that farm because her boys wanted to keep farming and together they've made it work and have been mighty successful at it. I admire her, especially after a three day stint of being alone but I don't want that load!

Another lesson to be learned for anyone involved in showing livestock. When Bobby got home last night and began to describe every detail of the show he said in Holly's class the judge said in his reasons that he really wanted to use her but she wasn't handling well enough to get any higher in the class.

That is a very valuable lesson to us all....make sure you have a pushbutton animal...she may not be the best cow in the class but if she handles better than another animal you might be up a place or two just because of the handling!

And I will take a vow here and now....that cow will not enter another show ring unless she can virtually show herself!

Better get...chores are waiting!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

hey i am a human of the male gender if you don't mind i wish you would refer to me as such


a concernd nephew

Melissa Hart said...

Sorry about that Tom...I shouldn't have lumped you into the girl section..yes you are a boy...all boy...100% BOY!

Anonymous said...

Thank you.

Tom :D