Knolltop Farm Wife (Melissa Hart)

Welcome to my blog! I'm a wife, mother of four and a self-employed freelance writer. In addition to writing, I am involved in producing several dairy magazines and am the editor of Dairy Agenda Today where I have a blog there as well! This is a place where I can get what's in my head, down on paper (the internet). I hope you find encouragement and maybe a giggle or two!
Follow me on instagram @farmwriter

Wednesday, March 19, 2008

A great day!

Good Morning from a gloomy day here on the Knolltop. It's raining today...but that means it's warm...so I'm not complaining!

Yesterday was both busy and rewarding. After morning chores, I had lunch with a civic group in town and spoke about agriculture. I can't think of a better topic to talk about than agriculture..well..yes, I can...God is a pretty good topic too!

What I had to say was very well recieved...except by one gentleman in the group who wanted to spar with me. When I opened the floor for questions...he wanted to discuss farm subsidies and how farmers get rich off the government. I thought I answered his question sufficently, yes, I put a positive spin on my answer simply because he wanted to turn it negative. When the meeting was over, I was overwhelmed by the nice comments and especially by one 92 year old man who wanted to reminisce about his youth on the farm. As it turns out, he grew up on the Knolltop...it was fun to listen to his stories.

But as others kept visiting with me, the fiesty man who wanted to argue with me kept trying to interrupt and get his point across...he wanted facts and figures. He wanted dollar amounts pertaining to the farm bill. He wanted to twist what I said around and make farmers the enemy.

The funny thing was, since I had just written a column on the farm bill, the numbers were kind of fresh in my mind...I said, kind of. I knew if I wanted to get him to leave me alone I was going to have to start grabbing numbers out of the air...and by his arguement, I knew he wouldn't know if I was clutching at fact or fiction. So just when I was about ready to nail him to the wall once and for all, a Knight in shining armor came to my rescue. That dear old 92 year old man walked up and said, "You just leave her alone, she doesn't have time to talk about that foolishness with you." After wiping my brow, I snickered under my breath and then asked him for another childhood story of life on the Knolltop! What a great day!

I don't know if we are just trying to be good parents or gluteons for punishment...but last night I took Sarah to sign up for AAU volleyball. Now she will have practices two nights a week and tournaments on Saturdays from now until June....it makes my head spin...who's got time to milk cows? They need to learn to find their own food and milk themselves....but I just don't think it will be that easy. You just gotta love parenthood!

Time for chores...

1 comment:

Paintsmh said...

Automated feeding system. And a robotic milker! Problem solved. Granted they will probably both break down the minute you are ready to leave, but it is an idea.