Knolltop Farm Wife (Melissa Hart)

Welcome to my blog! I'm a wife, mother of four and a self-employed freelance writer. In addition to writing, I am involved in producing several dairy magazines and am the editor of Dairy Agenda Today where I have a blog there as well! This is a place where I can get what's in my head, down on paper (the internet). I hope you find encouragement and maybe a giggle or two!
Follow me on instagram @farmwriter

Monday, April 21, 2008

Back to normal

Things can now get back to normal here on this Monday morning on the Knolltop. It's sunny, a little foggy and promises to be a warm spring day.

Yesterday we headed to Toledo only to find out that there was a miscommunication and Luke's team was not playing in the tournament. We were only halfway there, so we turned around and came back. It was too late to attend church so we went to TSC to pick up a couple of things. I saw a shirt there that I've requested from my children as a Mother's Day gift...although I'm not holding my breath! It was a John Deere shirt that said, "Tractor Queen" on the front. Luke was not in favor of spending any money on anything that said John Deere. He's so hard nosed about his tractor colors! I told him that if Farmalls were so great then why don't they have a line of clothing in TSC? He had no reasonable reply...just trash talk!

It's a sure sign of baseball season around here when everyone hustles out of the barn to load up the truck with baseball equipment and heads to the ballpark. That's what happened last evening as Bobby and the boys hopped in the pickup and took off for the field. They love to get a gang of kids up there and play ball.

Luke came home with a big smile on his face, he loves baseball and hasn't had the chance to even play catch. And Jake was covered in dirt from head to toe from sliding into home plate.

On Saturday while we were waiting in between Sarah's games, Luke and I played catch outside. It was such a nice day and so fun to play with him. Sarah's team had to move from one school to the other to play more games and on our way over we spotted one of those radar things that sits on the street and clocks your speed. You know..those machines that make you feel guilty because you thought you were going 25 mph down a residential street when actually you were really going 54! Anyway, Luke got the bright idea of throwing the baseball in front of this radar to see how fast he could pitch. Like the irresponsible mom that I am...I agreed. I"I am the baby of the family afterall...I find this kind of stuff really fun.

So I stood behind the radar...way behind...and Luke stood about 60 feet in front of it and proceeded to throw the ball to me. The first pitch was a strike....he hit the radar machine! He said he just wanted to show it who was boss. A good mother would've told him to pack it up, we're going to watch Sarah play ball. But, I've never claimed to be a good mother, so I told him to try it again. He pitched it again and the radar said 52 mph. Disgusted with the reading he claimed it was all messed up and he tried it again and again....but it didn't even register his speed. All the way back to the gym he muttered to himself...."52? I was throwing 52 mph in peewee! What is up with that thing? I must have been too close or too far away...it just can't be right...that's like JW's speed, I've got to be faster than him! That just can't be right! We need a radar gun, mom!"

I encouraged him by telling him he's all washed up and his best days as a baseball player are behind him. We had a good laugh and then pinky promised not to tell Daddy. Afterall, he's the responsible parent and would not appreciate my irresponsible behavior! It's a good thing one of us is a grown up!

No comments: