Knolltop Farm Wife

Welcome to my blog! I'm a wife, mother of four and a self-employed freelance writer. I live on a dairy farm with my family and I enjoy sharing our life with family, friends and anyone else who wants to visit the farm. There's no telling what the I will write about from day to day, but hopefully you'll be enriched when you stop by! Have a wonderfully blessed day!

Monday, June 30, 2008

I'm back...finally!

It's been way too long since I posted here. I can't believe it's taken me this long to get to the computer!

Needless to say we had a great time at the National Holstein Convention and enjoyed ourselves way too much. Between meeting and greeting, shopping and eating...I had no time for anything! Now I'm back home with more than one woman should ever have to face on a Monday morning and I'm feeling very overwhelmed. So...if you could just pray a little for me...I would appreciate it.

The convention was a riot and on the way home the kids were busy making plans for heading to California next year. I'm ready but I'm not sure the budget is. None of the kids place in any of the competitions over the week, well, at least none of them placed in the top three....but they are all first place in my book. I can't say enough about how wonderfully behaved each kid was and how enjoyable it was to be with them all. They were game for anything as you can see below with Brittany Westendorp and Tera Koeble posing with their milk mustaches given to them by North Carolina Juniors. I thought we would be sick of each other by Friday, but we weren't. Well, I should speak for myself, I wasn't sick of them...I don't know how they felt.

Saturday morning we jumped back into the routine with the alarm going off at 3 am. Jake had a ball game at 10, which was rained out, we made a quick trip to the grocery store and then after chores we went to a praise concert at church.

Sunday was chores, church, nap and baseball for Bobby and the boys while Jake, Sarah and I stayed home and did chores and went swimming. Bobby called with updates from the game, they split. Luke was the catcher for the first game and sat the second while JW played outfield both games. They both hit well, with JW garnering a standup double and Luke hitting a three run triple. Luke enjoyed catching again.

This morning JW and Luke are on their way to my parents to unload hay and Jake, Sarah and I will work with show heifers. I'm charged up on working with the heifers now. We toured Frozene Farms (left, Linda Frozene with pitchfork) where they have a great show heifer barn and then we toured Doug and Melanie Nifong's farm (top with the whole group, Melanie is on the left, next to JW)on the way home where they board show cattle for people. At both places I was able to glean lots of information on how to get these heifers ready for the it's time to put into practice what I learned!
I'll have more pictures later!