Knolltop Farm Wife (Melissa Hart)

Welcome to my blog! I'm a wife, mother of four and a self-employed freelance writer. In addition to writing, I am involved in producing several dairy magazines and am the editor of Dairy Agenda Today where I have a blog there as well! This is a place where I can get what's in my head, down on paper (the internet). I hope you find encouragement and maybe a giggle or two!
Follow me on instagram @farmwriter

Thursday, January 3, 2008

A surge of testosterone

It's going to be a beautiful sunrise here on the Knolltop. I can see the sun starting to light up the sky and with all the snow...it's so pretty!

First off, let me clarify something for Linda and anyone else who thought I was serious about my laundry. I didn't have 17 loads from one kid, that was an exaggeration...although I think I might have come close...it seems like I do 17 loads a day! And yes, a front load washing machine was wonderful...when I had it. My parents had mercy on me one year and bought me one...I wore the thing out! When it was going to cost more to fix it than it was worth, I decided to get a new one. Well at the time we were paying $4.00 for a bushel of corn and selling milk for $13 a hundred...you don't have to do the math...I will....it was bad! So instead of a new washing machine I bought a used one that was in the paper...it came with a used dryer that I still have in my back room that I haven't had to put into use yet. The funny thing about this washer is that it is from a laundromat and so it has a coin deposit thing you have to slide in and out to start it. Don't worry, it's fixed so I don't have to pay for each load...it's "free." So there you have it...that's my laundry saga.

There was an incident the other day that just made me chuckle and I've been wanting to write about it ever since, but have forgotten! The other day when we were coming home from JW's basketball game it had been snowing and there was a fresh layer of about 3 inches on the roads. So to say the least it was slippery and everyone was going a bit slower. On the outskirts of town there is a hill known as Buck Hill and we were approaching it when we saw this truck in the ditch. As we got closer we noticed it was a kid on JW's team and his older brother and they were clearly stuck in the ditch. There were three other vehicles ahead of us who had stopped, but strangely enough hadn't gotten out to help the boys. So when we got up to them, Bobby and the three boys all got out and rushed over to the truck to help. They all got on the front of the truck and pushed and in a matter of seconds the Kast brothers were back on the road.

When my boys walked back to the van they were all about three feet taller with huge bulging muscles and the confidence of David...at least that's how they acted. It's amazing what a surge of testosterone will do for young men!

Speaking of testosterone...if I get a chance later on today I will give you a run down of the typical day on the farm yesterday...it started out with lots of breakdowns...but ended up with great success.

Better get on my day...writing and errands to do today!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

your laundry saga made me laugh..I remember the days of $10.00 milk and just starting out married life in the old farmhouse, my mother set me up with my first laundry room-2 cement laundry tubs and a top loading side discharge washer...that old Maytag wringer sure washed a lot of nasty barn clothes and calf blankets and long underwear and even more delicate things...I wore out 3 of them before my husband gave me an automatic on our 20th anniversary. I like the convenience but seems like the wringer got the clothes cleaner and it never walked across the floor if it was unbalanced...my mother is now 87 and still won't give hers up