Knolltop Farm Wife (Melissa Hart)

Welcome to my blog! I'm a wife, mother of four and a self-employed freelance writer. In addition to writing, I am involved in producing several dairy magazines and am the editor of Dairy Agenda Today where I have a blog there as well! This is a place where I can get what's in my head, down on paper (the internet). I hope you find encouragement and maybe a giggle or two!
Follow me on instagram @farmwriter

Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Validation

Good frosty morning from the Knolltop. It's still a little snowy here...nothing deep though.

Last weekend at the DHIA banquet, Jake and I stood in the buffet line with one of our local vets and we were visiting about stuff. I figured I'd save myself a phone call and I told him I had two cows, standing side by side in the barn, who had D.A.'s (displaced abomasum or twisted stomach's) and I needed him to come by on Monday....not over the weekend, I was too cheap to pay for a weekend call.

He looked at me trying to figure out if I was serious or not. I assured him I was and that he or someone else from the practice really needed to come by. He said okay.

Monday afternoon the phone rang and it was him...he asked me "Were you really serious about those cows with D.A.'s?" I reassured him that I was totally serious. He said he would be over at about four. When I headed to the barn to milk the doc was out there with his stethoscope listening to the cows and then he looked at me and with an incredulous look and said, "Melissa, you were right! Both of these cows have D.A.'s!" I looked back and him and said, "Of course I'm right, I told you they did...and you didn't believe me...now I'm finally validated!"

Now, I'm no vet and of course I wasn't totally confident of my diagnosis, but it pays off to sound confident...at least one vet thinks I have some smarts!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Probably the vet was puzzled that you would wait all weekend to treat them. Our luck they would be to far gone. Doesn't feel good when you surprise the male species!
ph

Melissa Hart said...

Yes, you're right, he probably was thinking I was crazy for waiting...but all is good with the two girls now. They are all stitched up and ready to roll!

Anonymous said...

I love it when a woman is right in this kind of situation. Good for you.Linda