Knolltop Farm Wife (Melissa Hart)

Welcome to my blog! I'm a wife, mother of four and a self-employed freelance writer. In addition to writing, I am involved in producing several dairy magazines and am the editor of Dairy Agenda Today where I have a blog there as well! This is a place where I can get what's in my head, down on paper (the internet). I hope you find encouragement and maybe a giggle or two!
Follow me on instagram @farmwriter

Monday, August 25, 2008

Why not?

It's a clear cool, almost fallish day here on the Knolltop. The sun is shining and it's only about 60 out.

I've finally got tomatoes! I picked a few yesterday and put some in our stir fry, along with the cauliflower I picked and some potatoes I dug. It's so much fun to eat a dinner made almost completely of things you grew in the garden.

This morning we had a surprise in the pasture. A calf was born from a cow that wasn't due for a few more days. She didn't even look like she was close to calving, but she did and I don't even know what it is yet. I'll find out when we head out to wash and work with the show string. It's time to get back into the groove of working with the heifers again. And this year we are taking a couple of cows to the fair as well. Sarah's 4-H project will freshen in the beginning of September and she wants to take her in the worst way. So I said, if we take one cow we might as well take two! So we'll have right around 9 head at the fair. Bobby says, "You're crazy!" I say, "Why not?"

JW will be working the Agriprize sale, a Burton-Fellers sale during World Dairy Expo. Because he'll be gone for a week, he won't participate in the fair with the cows, he'll have to go to school...bummer!

Well, it's time to head out for my walk...I've gained weight and I don't like it one bit! I guess that nightly bowl of ice cream is catching up with me!

No comments: