Knolltop Farm Wife (Melissa Hart)

Welcome to my blog! I'm a wife, mother of four and a self-employed freelance writer. In addition to writing, I am involved in producing several dairy magazines and am the editor of Dairy Agenda Today where I have a blog there as well! This is a place where I can get what's in my head, down on paper (the internet). I hope you find encouragement and maybe a giggle or two!
Follow me on instagram @farmwriter

Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Another update

Good Morning from the Knolltop. Yes, I know, I know, I promised you I would try to get on and post our fair results...but if you've ever been involved with exhibiting animals at any fair you realize that you can't get away from the fair as quick as you plan to. When you get done sweeping or feeding, then someone comes by that you haven't seen in a while and you talk. Then you shout some orders to your kids and think you're going to leave in a few minutes...you get side tracked again...finally you get your bag on your shoulder of all your dirty laundry and then someone else comes by...the bag gets heavy, you put it down and an hour later,you're still at the fair!

Yesterday was the kids show day and they had a good one. Jake was last in showmanship...he spends too much time talking to his heifer and trying to get her to set up...she's more like a dog than a heifer. Yes, he had his hat on half way through the ring...but just after I took this picture he took it off and threw it to his grandparents sitting nearby. Jake's heifer was third in her class.




Then Sarah and Luke entered the ring with their two spring yearlings and it was anybody's guess how this class would end up. I knew what I would've done, but the judge didn't do that. Instead he swapped his top pair and put Sarah's heifer first and Luke's heifer second.



I was happy they were both on top. Then when it came to the junior champion drive I had no idea what would happen. But as it turned out he went with Sarah's and Luke's heifers for Junior champion and reserve junior champion. Sarah was a little surprised and quite elated.


Then it was time for Holly to come into the ring. She came in, collected her Grand Champion ribbons, Sarah was reserve grand champion and everyone was all smiles as they headed back to the barn.



It was a great day but not because the kids won championships and not because everyone was happy a the end of the day, but because my kids were probably the only ones their with both sets of grandparents at the show to take pictures, pat them on the back and tell them how wonderful they were. Now that is something special. Thanks Gramps, Grandma, Nana and Joann! You too Grandaddy, for retiring from Delta and earning cheap air fair for Nana and Joann!

P.S. I will try to have better pics after the week is out..there was a professional there, I've just got to buy his pics.

Better get back to the fair....the kids are waiting!



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Lissa!
You are bringing back a lot of great memories of fair time. I do have to say that it is a bit wierd to see the pics of your kids with Black and Whites! When I think of you, I see you with Leah in the showring collecting all the ribbons and trophies . . . definitely not a Holstein! LOL My Dad would be very pleased!
Miss ya,
Julie