Knolltop Farm Wife (Melissa Hart)

Welcome to my blog! I'm a wife, mother of four and a self-employed freelance writer. In addition to writing, I am involved in producing several dairy magazines and am the editor of Dairy Agenda Today where I have a blog there as well! This is a place where I can get what's in my head, down on paper (the internet). I hope you find encouragement and maybe a giggle or two!
Follow me on instagram @farmwriter

Saturday, September 22, 2007

Currently....

Well, it's a beautiful Saturday before the fair morning.

At present...Sarah's brownies are baking, the last batch of salsa is processing, Luke is clipping and Jake is laying flat out on the living room floor because the neighbor's combine just went by and he can't go!

Last night the kids got all the cows washed and this morning after they clip them, we will head to the fair with a load of tack and make a last minute stop at the store for fairweek snacks.

The laundry is done, but the whites aren't found. All my stories have been written except one that I have to finish up by Monday....just waiting on some information.

At the moment, I'm feeling pretty sane, but I know this is just the calm before the storm...so from this point on...if you don't see any new posts...pray for me! No, really, I'll try to post to keep fair progress updated.

And for Pat who wanted to know about school and a county fair at this time of year....all the schools in the county have Monday off and then whatever kids want to take off the rest of the week they are excused. Most kids take at least two or three, some only take off their show day. All of the small animals and the horses will show this weekend, sheep are Monday, dairy and beef are Tuesday, pigs are Wednesday and dogs are Thursday....that's just 4-H. There are open livestock shows all week too.

It is strange in that most every morning you see a lot more parents doing chores in their work clothes, then they go off to work while the kids go to school. This is not your status quo fair where you see sleepy eyed kid doing their chores early in the morning.

The other neat dynamic is that during the day, the fair isn't crowded with lots and lots of people....mostly older adults and preschoolers. AND one more bonus is the weather...it is usually pleasantly cool, sweatshirt weather which makes it nice for the animals.

Okay....duties await!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Why have the fair at this time of year? Ours are all in July and then the state fair begins before school begins and ends after school is started.

Anonymous said...

I thought the Fowlerville Fair
was bad having to deal with Dairy
days,Ag-Expo,second cuting and
wheat, but I would rather have it
then than now. To me ,the fair is
kids and cows. Besides we get 4
more hours of light to do it in.
Francis and Pat