Knolltop Farm Wife (Melissa Hart)

Welcome to my blog! I'm a wife, mother of four and a self-employed freelance writer. In addition to writing, I am involved in producing several dairy magazines and am the editor of Dairy Agenda Today where I have a blog there as well! This is a place where I can get what's in my head, down on paper (the internet). I hope you find encouragement and maybe a giggle or two!
Follow me on instagram @farmwriter

Wednesday, September 5, 2007

Another delivery

Good Morning from the Knolltop! It's another clear morning and it's going to be hot.

We had another delivery the other night. One of our first calf heifers was calving and during chores she had two feet out. We got chores all done, went in the house, popped the popcorn and were relaxing when all of a sudden Big Daddy jumped up and said, "I forgot about Pinky!" So he got his boots on and ran out to the barn...well who followed him but Sarah, the midwife.

I said, I'd be over in it a bit, she hightailed it over and came running back and yelled for help. By this time, I put some hustle in my step and headed over. When I got there, Sarah was preparing the boxstall for the cow and when we got Pinky in the pen, Sarah gathered up all the tools we would need if we had a rough delivery. And sure enough, we needed all those tools and all the help we could find. Sarah and Big Daddy started pulling and I went after reinforcements. Everyone showed up and the boys with the "big guns" got the job done.(That's what they call them anyway!) Pinky had her first calf, a bull, and immediately went to town taking care of her new arrival.

We cleaned up and came back in, sat down and resumed our popcorn eating frenzy.

Today is mowing day...I can't believe how often I'm having to mow!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Now if that heifer had been a Jersey! But I better be quiet!
Russell in Jerseyland north!

Anonymous said...

We were going to say that ,but
Russell beat us to it
Francis and Pat