Knolltop Farm Wife (Melissa Hart)

Welcome to my blog! I'm a wife, mother of four and a self-employed freelance writer. In addition to writing, I am involved in producing several dairy magazines and am the editor of Dairy Agenda Today where I have a blog there as well! This is a place where I can get what's in my head, down on paper (the internet). I hope you find encouragement and maybe a giggle or two!
Follow me on instagram @farmwriter

Friday, September 14, 2007

Tractors and floats

Tonight is Homecoming in our little town. The sophomore float is built and has been sitting in our barn all week. To tell you the truth, it needs some work...some balloons, some spark, something. If I were ambitious I would do it up right for the five boys and one girl who faithfully showed up to work on the poor project. Maybe I will....maybe.


Luke was elected to pull the float with his Farmall. I can promise you, it will be the only tractor in the parade. All the other floats will have a big, shiny truck pulling their float, but the sophomore class wanted the tractor.


Speaking of tractors...last evening was a beautiful night for a tractor ride, so Big Daddy and I hopped on this green tractor and headed down the road. It went putt, putt, putt and it sounded so good, I just wanted to sit and listen to it idle. I've been quiet about my special gift because I know full well, I don't deserve it.... but my husband bought me a John Deere A last weekend. I was amazed when a friend called and said he was bidding on a tractor for me...with the phone at my ear I looked at Bobby with an inquisitive look and he shook his head yes, bid on it. They practically stole it, it was so cheap..which is the only way my husband could've purchased it. But apparently he'd been building up a little bit of a nest egg for this and when we climb on that tractor for a ride, he was satisfied that he had given me what I've wanted for years and I'm satisfied that it goes putt, putt, putt.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulation!!!!!!!!!!!
You now have your long awaited putt putt.

S B H

Anonymous said...

Well Melissa, your mother and I are proud of Bobby for the gift of the John Deere "A"...you deserve the tractor, and we are happy for you. Secretly, I have always liked the two cyd. John Deere, but my father would not understand how I could have jumped the fence from the Oliver side of things and gone to J.D.

Anyway, we appreciate you husband.

Dad and Mom

Anonymous said...

Who ever said farmers weren't romantic!! In there own due time
when you least expect it. Congrats! PH

Anonymous said...

What a fine patina... are you going to restore it, or let it be?

Melissa Hart said...

As far as restoring this JD A...it will be a long time before I can afford the paint to put on it...much less the money to pay someone qualified to restore it! So as for right now...it will look like a workin' girl! Thanks for all your nice comments about my new present...I love it!

Anonymous said...

Besides, Liss, as you so aptly put it a year ago in one of your columns--to remove all the dents and give a new coat of paint would remove its history and "render it spechless". I like it just the way it is!!mom