Knolltop Farm Wife (Melissa Hart)

Welcome to my blog! I'm a wife, mother of four and a self-employed freelance writer. In addition to writing, I am involved in producing several dairy magazines and am the editor of Dairy Agenda Today where I have a blog there as well! This is a place where I can get what's in my head, down on paper (the internet). I hope you find encouragement and maybe a giggle or two!
Follow me on instagram @farmwriter

Sunday, September 16, 2007

Sunny Sunday

It's a beautiful, but cool day here on the Knolltop.

Yesterday I bought one of those apple peeler, corer gadgets and Sarah is busy peeling and coring apples for apple crisp. She really enjoys that...I wonder what she'll say when I tell her she's got two bushel to peel and core for applesauce.

Applesauce used to be a cinch when I had my strainer gadget that I bought when I used to live in Indiana with the Amish and Mennonite women....but that had so many little parts, that I'm afraid little fingers helped them disappear, so now I have to peel, core, cook and mash for my applesauce.

Before chores yesterday our mechanic stopped by and gave me a little toy tractor model of my John Deere A. This man can be a little intimidating with his beard, mustache and ponytail. He always has a straight face and looks like he's upset. But he really is a softy. He handed me the tractor in a wooden case and said, "There, don't say I never gave you nothin'" What a guy!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Reread your blog of sept.14th-congratulations on your "new" John Deere. I couldn't help but notice the phrase "I don't deserve it" Ah Ha there it was the Farm wife guilt syndrome!! I used to feel that way but when I hit 50 a couple of years ago it miraculously dawned on me wait a minute I do deserve it!!I came to this epiphany as I was cutting hay in an un-airconditioned tractor watching my sister-in-law drive by in her new mini van on her way to "curves" for exercise classes...this woman has never mowed a lawn or planted a garden or a flower or canned a vegetable in her modern kitchen in her custom built 4 bedroom ranch-she did raise two sons in a fenced in back yard and they were only allowed on our farm under strict supervision yet her husband worked full time and landscaped and mowed the lawn and did a lot of cooking and cleaning..I used to kid my husband when we would have a little tiff he should have got one of his brother's wives...oh but I digress..any farm wife who rocks her babies to sleep and then goes out and delivers a new calf deserves "it" when you save old jeans to mend ripped ones because the budjet won't buy new ones-you deserve "it" when a woman cans 2 bushels of tomatoes and 1 of peaches, weeds the garden and rakes 10 acres of hay before lunch-she deserves "it"...we work hard and long and so often don't feel appreciated so when your farmer gets you something special-rejoice! It's his way of saying I love you-I know you work hard and I don't always tell you but I know I wouldn't have what I have now without you by my side...so You deserve "it" Enjoy your gift...

Anonymous said...

Reread your blog of sept.14th-congratulations on your "new" John Deere. I couldn't help but notice the phrase "I don't deserve it" Ah Ha there it was the Farm wife guilt syndrome!! I used to feel that way but when I hit 50 a couple of years ago it miraculously dawned on me wait a minute I do deserve it!!I came to this epiphany as I was cutting hay in an un-airconditioned tractor watching my sister-in-law drive by in her new mini van on her way to "curves" for exercise classes...this woman has never mowed a lawn or planted a garden or a flower or canned a vegetable in her modern kitchen in her custom built 4 bedroom ranch-she did raise two sons in a fenced in back yard and they were only allowed on our farm under strict supervision yet her husband worked full time and landscaped and mowed the lawn and did a lot of cooking and cleaning..I used to kid my husband when we would have a little tiff he should have got one of his brother's wives...oh but I digress..any farm wife who rocks her babies to sleep and then goes out and delivers a new calf deserves "it" when you save old jeans to mend ripped ones because the budjet won't buy new ones-you deserve "it" when a woman cans 2 bushels of tomatoes and 1 of peaches, weeds the garden and rakes 10 acres of hay before lunch-she deserves "it"...we work hard and long and so often don't feel appreciated so when your farmer gets you something special-rejoice! It's his way of saying I love you-I know you work hard and I don't always tell you but I know I wouldn't have what I have now without you by my side...so You deserve "it" Enjoy your gift...

Melissa Hart said...

Hey Shady Knoll
Thanks for your nice comments...I do have to remind myself that the gift I received was wonderful and that it makes my husband happy to see me happy with it. You are so right about Farm women...I may just have to use those comments in my column!