Knolltop Farm Wife (Melissa Hart)

Welcome to my blog! I'm a wife, mother of four and a self-employed freelance writer. In addition to writing, I am involved in producing several dairy magazines and am the editor of Dairy Agenda Today where I have a blog there as well! This is a place where I can get what's in my head, down on paper (the internet). I hope you find encouragement and maybe a giggle or two!
Follow me on instagram @farmwriter

Thursday, September 13, 2007

Rummage Sale

Yes, it's that time of year again...the annual Hillsdale College Women's Board of Commissioners Rummage Sale.

The field house at Hillsdale College is transformed into a huge rummage sale where all kinds of stuff from ice skates to printers, to coffee mugs to treadmills to bed frames to Christmas decorations are put out for people to rummage through and unearth their treasures.

This is an event I look forward to each year. I can get more good stuff, especially barn clothes, at this sale plus other things like an extra coffee pot, white clothes for the kids to show in at the fair and oh so many wonderful finds.

Yesterday I went with Lori from Knolltop Morgans. We arrived 15 minutes after it opened and avoided the opening rush. We went through rummaging around and I found more stuff than I could carry including a brand new pair of white pants for Sarah to show in...tags and all. Anyone who has ever tried to find white pants in the fall can appreciate this find.

Anyway, while in the t-shirt department, Lori and I were looking and laughing but the laughing stopped when we looked across the table and we saw a t-shirt with an old familiar saying...."Milk drinkers are better lovers" We both spotted it at the same time and gasped. Not having seen that saying for nearly 25 years, we wanted that shirt. The college girls who were eyeing it up were laughing at the saying and thought it was the cat's meow.

In an instant we started plotting how we were going to get this coveted shirt. As we whispered behind raised up shirts, we talked about just taking them out...they were skinny young things, certainly no match for us tough farm moms. Then we thought that might cause a scene...so we thought of just following them around to see if they might drop it while treasure hunting....but we really weren't comfortable with standing in a jail cell, charged with stalking...so we just kept an eye on them to see if they were really going to keep the shirt. As we sorted through the pile of shirts, we kept one eye on the girls as they meandered away. Our hearts sank as we watched them walk off with a t-shirt that certainly they would never appreciate as much as we would! Then the thought occurred to us that there might be two of their shirts in the pile so we dove into the pile to start our search but came up empty handed.

Leaving with more stuff than two normal people could carry, we slumped out with our rummage sale finds disappointed we didn't get the one t-shirt that was meant for us. We soon found ourselves drowning our sorrows at the local coffee house Lori with her froo-froo coffee and me with my regular with one cream.

What a great day!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

FUNNY YOU SHOULD MENTION MILK TEE SHIRTS;I JUST DISCOVERED SOME THAT MMPA PUT OUT OVER 25 YEARS AGO THAT SAY "MILK IS LIKE KISSING-IT'S REAL GOOD" THE REAL BEING THE REAL MILK SYMBOL-LET ME KNOW I CAN SEND ONE OR TWO ON TO YOU...OH DIDN'T YOU KNOW monsanto RULES THE WORLD...

Melissa Hart said...

I would love one of your t-shirts! email me and I'll email you my address!

and yes, it does seem like Monsanto has some influence these days.