Knolltop Farm Wife (Melissa Hart)

Welcome to my blog! I'm a wife, mother of four and a self-employed freelance writer. In addition to writing, I am involved in producing several dairy magazines and am the editor of Dairy Agenda Today where I have a blog there as well! This is a place where I can get what's in my head, down on paper (the internet). I hope you find encouragement and maybe a giggle or two!
Follow me on instagram @farmwriter

Thursday, September 6, 2007

Not clear

It's not clear on the Knolltop..it's cloudy. But muggy and warm. Well, it's only warm if you work up a sweat and I did that this morning, like I do every morning when I clean out the calf pens. I do it in the mornings and the kids do in the evening. Luke put his show heifer in a box stall and is now cleaning that morning and night. She is by herself so she can eat a specific diet....and she's easier to catch in a pen than in a pasture. Sarah's heifer on the other hand has to be caught in the pasture and that's not always easy.

Jake's heifer is in a pen too, she's easy to deal with, everytime you open the gate, she's in your hip pocket, nudging you for some attention. She is spoiled rotten and I wouldn't have it any other way!

Today is writing day and I haven't had a thought on what to write! So, I just keep thinking until one comes to me, oh yes, one just came to me!

And to all you Jersey enthusiasts out there...yes, that heifer would've calved much easier had it been brown instead of black and white. But around here if you haven't figured it out by now, cows are not like TVs, they come in black and white, not color. Besides, I'm lobbying for sheep, not colorbreeds.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

HAVEN'T HAD MUCH TIME FOR PERKED COFFEE-WE'RE TRYING TO BALE 40 ACRES OF LONG DISTANCE HAY (6 MILE ONE WAY TRIP)BARRING BREAKDOWNS AND RAIN WE MIGHT BE DONE IN TIME TO CHOP CORN SILAGE. WE USED TO HAVE JERSEYS AND THEY DEFINATELY CALVE MUCH EASIER BUT WE HAD TO SWITCH TO HOLSTEINS BECAUSE THE BARN CATS KEPT DRAGGING THE JERSEY CALVES UP TO THE HAYMOW...........

Melissa Hart said...

Shady Knoll...You made my day with that comment! I just had the biggest chuckle! Thanks!
Melissa

Anonymous said...

Haven’t heard a joke like that since they started paying for
protein
Francis and Pat