Knolltop Farm Wife (Melissa Hart)

Welcome to my blog! I'm a wife, mother of four and a self-employed freelance writer. In addition to writing, I am involved in producing several dairy magazines and am the editor of Dairy Agenda Today where I have a blog there as well! This is a place where I can get what's in my head, down on paper (the internet). I hope you find encouragement and maybe a giggle or two!
Follow me on instagram @farmwriter

Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Gone but not forgotten

Yes, my sister and her family left to head back to Montana today. On Sunday we had a big day of eating and celebrating my parents anniversary. We had to leave the party early of course to come back home and milk the cows, but we came back with a bonus...my nephew Tom.

Tom is 18 and has one Ayrshire cow that he breeds and milks. He has a big customer base of buyers for Betsey Lou's raw milk. He takes a load to the local town, where his grandma lives and puts the milk in her fridge and people come and get it from there and then he also takes a load to Billings where he meets people and they pick up their fresh milk. He fetches a pretty big price for this ranch product...the locals pay $5.00 per gallon and the urbanites in Billings pay $7.00 a gallon. Talk about a niche market!

Because Tom loves dairy cattle, he wanted to come to our house and spend some time with his kindred souls. We had a great time and he helped JW and I milk the whole time he was here. Milking a barn full of cows is different than milking just one, but he got into the groove and did a fine job for us. In between milkings we built fence and went swimming and of course the most important thing we did was EAT. Tom has a hollow leg.

While we had Tom my sister took Jake and Sarah and they went to Henry Ford Museum. After a day of touring, they brought them to my house so Jake could make it to his game and Sarah to her practice. Jake's team lost by one run.

After the game they came here and we had ice cream and then the sad moment came when they had to leave. I don't think I've laughed as much in a long time as when Tom was here...he and JW and Luke are great together. I sure wish they lived closer!

The agenda for the day is called catch up! I've got a mountain of laundry to get done and a house that looks like a pack of wolves has moved in. Bobby and Luke are gone to basketball camp for the day which means we'll finish chores this morning and then I won't be interrupted for any errands or "will you help me's."

I'll try to get to the pool today, I just love sitting poolside and reading while the kids swim.

No comments: