Knolltop Farm Wife (Melissa Hart)

Welcome to my blog! I'm a wife, mother of four and a self-employed freelance writer. In addition to writing, I am involved in producing several dairy magazines and am the editor of Dairy Agenda Today where I have a blog there as well! This is a place where I can get what's in my head, down on paper (the internet). I hope you find encouragement and maybe a giggle or two!
Follow me on instagram @farmwriter

Friday, June 22, 2007

A Ranch Wife wannabe

I went to a career fair last night held in Bloomfield Hills and visited with youngsters about careers in agriculture and I specifically spoke to the whole group on ag journalism. When I spoke I told them that all my life all I wanted to do was to be a farmer's wife but my parents told me that a college education was a valuable asset that no one could ever take away so they encouraged me to go to college. Of course I did and I've ended up with the best of both worlds, a farmer's wife and mother...and an ag journalist!

When I finished speaking Gina, the girl in the picture came up to me and told me she has the same aspirations as I did...she wants to be a rancher's wife. I told her that was a wonderful goal but that she needed to get an education first.

I was so struck by this...I didn't think there was anyone out there who would want to be the wife of a farmer or a rancher, especially growing up in the middle of the city. I'm so pleased to see there are kids growing up knowing that there is value in being a wife and mother and who also see the value in agriculture. I hope Gina does find her rancher or farmer, I know my boys saw her picture and are ready to get to know her a little better! Good thing we live two hours away! Gina... if you read this, email me and let me hear from you!

No comments: