Knolltop Farm Wife (Melissa Hart)

Welcome to my blog! I'm a wife, mother of four and a self-employed freelance writer. In addition to writing, I am involved in producing several dairy magazines and am the editor of Dairy Agenda Today where I have a blog there as well! This is a place where I can get what's in my head, down on paper (the internet). I hope you find encouragement and maybe a giggle or two!
Follow me on instagram @farmwriter

Monday, December 17, 2007

Horses make me wonder

I finally made my way to the computer today. With the kids off of school because of the snow, it's been a full day with not a whole lot of quiet time on the computer. The weather is clear and the snow is beautiful. I think they will have school tomorrow...but no one had it today.

Last evening, JW and I milked while Bobby plowed more snow and Luke mixed feed. While they were working, a car got stuck down the road so they were busy pulling the neighbor out of the snow drift. Before Bobby left the barn he instructed me to get the heifer in who is in heat and to get the other heifer in who was calving. I left JW with the milking while I started on my orders.

The heifer in heat was easy...for some reason she was very willing to get real friendly... :) So with her in and tied up, I went back out in the deep snow for the calving heifer. All the heifers and dry cows were up at the bunk eating. With flashlight in hand, I started checking behinds. Nope, not her, nope, not her....nope, not her....where was she? After looking through the bunch two more times, I noticed the horse wasn't up at the bunk. Now that was strange. So I headed out through the snowy pasture to the steer barn to look to see if the heifer was in some corner having a calf. I walked in and their was Krissy, laying down trying to calve with Bud standing right next to her. I laughed at him, asking him if he thought he was the "midwife."

I got the heifer out of the barn and headed her towards the barn. Bud was right next to me as if he and I were a team....as if I needed him. He walked every step right next to me and we got her up to the barnyard. When she stopped for a snack, I yelled into the barn for Sarah to open the barn door and watch the gate while I headed her in. As I stood there and waited for Sarah, I felt a nudge on my shoulder, I knew it was him...I turned slowly and Bud just looked at me as if to say, "What are we waiting for?"

I rubbed his neck and played with his soft nose and we put the heifer in all safe and sound out of the snow.

Now, I know in last week's column, I discussed the idea of putting human feelings on an animal and how I don't approve of elevating pets to human level....and I still don't. But, I also know there is a certain level of communication between animals. I think Bud knew there was something up with this heifer....and maybe he was just trying to figure it out....I don't know. I do know that I like that horse and he has made me laugh many times and made me wonder on many other occasions.

Now, I have to go milk!

No comments: