Knolltop Farm Wife (Melissa Hart)

Welcome to my blog! I'm a wife, mother of four and a self-employed freelance writer. In addition to writing, I am involved in producing several dairy magazines and am the editor of Dairy Agenda Today where I have a blog there as well! This is a place where I can get what's in my head, down on paper (the internet). I hope you find encouragement and maybe a giggle or two!
Follow me on instagram @farmwriter

Monday, December 3, 2007

Winter is here

Winter has set in here on the Knolltop and with the turn of the calendar, it feels like Christmas. Saturday night the boys and Bobby put up the tarps up over where it gets real drafty and pipes start to freeze. The next day it was 50 outside and it felt like a summer in there! But, it's colder now and we're glad for a warm barn.
I've been trying to post on this blog all day, but after breakfast I started doing laundry then the neighbor stopped in and we had to solve the world problems, including the premier of Don Imus on RFD-TV. Then I headed out to the barn to finally finish up my chores and by that time it was nap time. After answering a few emails and starting another load of laundry and figuring out what to fix for dinner...I finally got back to this.
We had so much fun with the three kids that stayed with us over the weekend. Jennifer, Jessie and Josiah were great to have around. For not coming from a farm, they sure didn't mind pitching in and helping out with the tail washing.
Jake and Josiah had to try out the snow to see if there was enough to snowboard....I don't there there was, but you know kids...at the first sign of snow, they break out the sleds.

I made Luke take time out from seeing if his Farmall would start in the cold weather and cleaning his pens to pose for a picture for me. Yes, he had to start my tractor first to get it out so he could get his piece of junk out....and yes, mine started right up....I think.
When it came to the cow tail washing extravaganza, Jen even had a smile on her face! I didn't make them stay out too long, they got through soaking all the tails and then I went through and washed them. When they were finished, Sarah took them in the house and made hot cocoa for all.

Jessie got to curry the manure off the cows, although she is an animal lover and she thinks she might like to be a vet...after the tail washing I think she decided she'd be a small animal vet. Heck, she's just a wiff of a thing, the first time she had to preg check a cow and put her arm up a cow's behind, if that cow moved from one side to the other, I'm afraid it would pick her up and move her too! No, she better stick to dogs and cats...in the south...this weather is way too cold for these kids who spend 12 months out of the year wearing shorts and running around barefoot.

Well, now I need to get another load of laundry started and get on dinner...we travel to Camden tonight for Luke's basketball game. Tomorrow JW has a game, Wednesday we're in Waldron for Luke's game, Thursday we have Jake's Christmas program and Friday JW has a home game....and we're off!

No comments: