Knolltop Farm Wife (Melissa Hart)

Welcome to my blog! I'm a wife, mother of four and a self-employed freelance writer. In addition to writing, I am involved in producing several dairy magazines and am the editor of Dairy Agenda Today where I have a blog there as well! This is a place where I can get what's in my head, down on paper (the internet). I hope you find encouragement and maybe a giggle or two!
Follow me on instagram @farmwriter

Wednesday, December 5, 2007

Youngests Unite!

Two inches of snow fell last night on the Knolltop....it's Christmas! I finally broke out my Christmas dishes yesterday for dinner. It was time....although that is the only sign of Christmas in my house right now...more to come..when I get time.

Last evening JW had his first basketball game. Although he contributed 4 points to the effort...they lost by 12...I think. The varsity lost too. JW only had two fouls, that is outstanding for him. There are times on the basketball court that he forgets he's not in the barn playing with his brothers and he gets a little physical. So to only have two fouls is great for him. Tonight we travel to Waldron for Luke's game.

This morning I was caught in a parental no-no. I giggled when I should've been dishing out discipline. But I just couldn't help myself. Jake was waiting for his basketball shirt to dry...he's the manager of Luke's team and he always wears his team shirt on game day...just like the big boys. So he was waiting by the dryer for it to dry and then came in with it on and was ready for school. The only problem was, the shirt was still wet. Like the good, concerned parent he is, Bobby told Jake he couldn't wear a wet shirt to school, he would catch a cold, Jake said, oh, it's not that wet, I'm okay. It was then that I began to laugh...when I should've been reinforcing Bobby's point.

I couldn't help it, as the baby of the family, I can relate to Jake. It really didn't matter if it was dirty, wet or wrinkled, we would wear the shirt no matter what and we just didn't care....it's a youngest thing. While I was laughing I looked at Bobby and he was not. So I covered my face and laughed some more, thinking to myself I really should exit the room and laugh in private. All of a sudden I heard the hair dryer going...it was Jake drying his shirt...it all broke loose then, I just couldn't hold it back...the laughter overcame me as I tried to apologize and give some sort of excuse about being able to relate and that I would've done the same thing at that age.

But it was no use....Sarah was rolling her eyes, Luke was shaking his head and Bobby was saying something about how hard it is being a single parent of five children.

At that point, I got up and dashed into the bathroom to help Jake dry his shirt while he brushed his teeth....yes we youngests can multitask with the best of 'em!

No comments: