Knolltop Farm Wife (Melissa Hart)

Welcome to my blog! I'm a wife, mother of four and a self-employed freelance writer. In addition to writing, I am involved in producing several dairy magazines and am the editor of Dairy Agenda Today where I have a blog there as well! This is a place where I can get what's in my head, down on paper (the internet). I hope you find encouragement and maybe a giggle or two!
Follow me on instagram @farmwriter

Thursday, December 20, 2007

Got it all in!

It's foggy on the Knolltop this morning.

Yesterday started out just fine...but as I got to the end of chores I was trying to decide which direction I should go to do my shopping. I wanted to go to Adrian...but it was getting late, so when the van just started driving to Hillsdale...I just rode along.

I did somemore Christmas shopping and feeling very satisfied as I went over my list because I only had a couple of more things to get, I checked out and headed out to my van. The van came into my sights and so did the flat tire on the front. We've needed new tires, but I just thought I could hold out til after Christmas...NOT!

Normally I would be happy to spend more time shopping while the service center put new tires on my van...but since it was Sarah's birthday I had to get her birthday treat to her class...they were expecting it! Asking how long it would be, the young, unenthusiastic mechanic just mumbled about an hour an a half. AAAHHHHH!!!! I gently said, "Oh, well, I guess I'd better call my daughter at school and tell her that I won't be bringing in her birthday treat."

As I walked away I began to pray that somehow, some way, God would make this go quickly. A few minutes later they called me back to the service counter...they needed me to tell them where my van was parked. I thought this was strange since my van was the only one out there with a flat tire....but I did it anyway...and then when the guy saw the van said, "Oh, that tire sure is flat!" I shook my head and then said, "Did you think I was lying? Or are there relative degrees of flatness?" He didn't respond.

To drown my sorrows of not getting Sarah's treat to her, not getting my gifts wrapped and not getting Sarah's cake made, I bought a sweetroll and sat and ate it while I watched people hustle in and out of the store. That helped. No sooner did I get the roll eaten, they called me and my van was done! Praise God! I quickly drove to the school and dropped off Sarah's treat and boy were they happy!

Then I rushed home to start dinner, hide the presents and put away the groceries. I picked up the kids from school and when I got home I put everyone to work. Luke made coffee, Jake put some groceries away and Sarah started making her birthday dessert...which wasn't a cake but a torte. Oh was it good. We ate dinner, birthday cake and watched Sarah open her presents.

After chores we watched Luke's team win again and came home to collapse with a bowl of popcorn and watch MSU slaughter San Jose State! It was a good day!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Season Greetings and Merry Christmas from PryorVu. Nephew #2 is in, #1 heads for home tomorrow. Hope the snow storm headed this way doesn't cause any problems. Betsy Lou is in production, still waiting on Ms Barbara. Ground is bare. Chance of snow tonight.
Greetings to the Birthday boy.
Have a wonderful Christmas.