Knolltop Farm Wife (Melissa Hart)

Welcome to my blog! I'm a wife, mother of four and a self-employed freelance writer. In addition to writing, I am involved in producing several dairy magazines and am the editor of Dairy Agenda Today where I have a blog there as well! This is a place where I can get what's in my head, down on paper (the internet). I hope you find encouragement and maybe a giggle or two!
Follow me on instagram @farmwriter

Saturday, December 1, 2007

It's the big day

Here on the Knolltop we are busy getting ready for the classifier. For those of you who have no idea what that is...I'll give you the Readers Digest condensed version. A classifier is a person who works for the Holstein Association and goes to farms and puts a numerical score on a cow. He is "judging" her bascially. There are many different areas that he judges, breaking down the total cow into different categories like mammary system, feet and legs, dairy character etc....giving all these a score, he computes her overall score.

One hundred would be a perfect cow and so from 90-100 they are excellent, from 89-85 is Very Good, 84-80 is Good Plus and so on down the line. Anything under 80, I don't want to discuss...I don't want any cows like that...and so far we don't have any. Bobby said he was at a guys farm clipping for classification and he had a cow score 60 and was proud of it. So I guess it's all relative.

Today, the big event is when Holly will be scored...she is 88 right now and as a two year old she could only score as high as 89, so today we are looking for her to go excellent. I think she will score 93, but Bobby is skeptical and says he'll be happy at 90. Only having two calves, she can only score as high as 94.

Well, that's it...I've got to go wash dishes and then head out to wash tails! Results will be posted later!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

we are eagerly awaiting the results!!!!! S B H