Knolltop Farm Wife (Melissa Hart)

Welcome to my blog! I'm a wife, mother of four and a self-employed freelance writer. In addition to writing, I am involved in producing several dairy magazines and am the editor of Dairy Agenda Today where I have a blog there as well! This is a place where I can get what's in my head, down on paper (the internet). I hope you find encouragement and maybe a giggle or two!
Follow me on instagram @farmwriter

Friday, July 13, 2007

It's beautiful out

It's another beautiful day on the Knolltop. The sun is shining, the air is cool, so cool in fact, I had to wear a sweatshirt to milk this morning. JW is gone to the neighbors to help with the hay and the rest of us are getting ready for breakfast.

Yesterday I felt like I had to put a rope around my boys to keep them from being taken. JW had committed himself to work for one farmer in the afternoon. That was great because we had a load of hay that needed to go in the barn in the morning. The hay unloading was scheduled right after I got done doing Rural Route. I was just about to go on the radio and in drove another farmer, the one they usually help out. Before he could even get on the porch I shouted out, "You can't have 'em until they get done unloading that hay, and that won't be til after 10:30, unless you want to do it right now, in that case, I can't help! AND...JW has to be back at 1pm!"

I looked out during Rural Route and saw the hay being unloaded and a big smile came across my face....it was getting done....without me. It's amazing what the smell of money will do for a teenager who's saving for a truck!

Then Sarah and Jake went out to wash their heifers and to work with them. When I finished my column I walked out to the living room to see an 11 year old colapsed on a couch sobbing while mumbling..."She's such a dumb heifer...she's never going to keep her head up....no one cares about me and my heifer....all mom cares about is writing her column....no one understands me but God." After a little pep talk, she was as good as new with a renewed ambition.

Much to my surprise, Jake didn't have any troubles with his heifer...I'm not sure why, I guess God just figured I needed a break!

Today will be more washing, leading and yes probably some tears and pep talks. I've also got to write a story and try to get to town. This weekend will be a tough one...it always is right before we leave for a show. I wish I could blink my eyes and be driving the truck and trailer headed for MSU and just skip all the drama, breakdowns, disappointments and flare ups that go along with a family who loves to show cows.

No comments: