Knolltop Farm Wife (Melissa Hart)

Welcome to my blog! I'm a wife, mother of four and a self-employed freelance writer. In addition to writing, I am involved in producing several dairy magazines and am the editor of Dairy Agenda Today where I have a blog there as well! This is a place where I can get what's in my head, down on paper (the internet). I hope you find encouragement and maybe a giggle or two!
Follow me on instagram @farmwriter

Sunday, July 8, 2007

Oh my what a day

Yesterday was going along pretty well until we decided we would go pick up straw in the field last night after chores. We started out in the pick up, Jake was driving, Luke was stacking and Bobby and I were carrying them to the truck. This would've worked just fine if everyone had done it MY way. But there were three other males who had their own ideas of how we should navigate through the field from bale to bale.

My idea was to drive down row after row, stopping at each bale, picking it up and going to the next bale. But other people thought that we would do two rows at a time with the truck down the middle carrying the bales to the truck. Remember it's 85 and humid. So my question is, why make all the work for yourself? It's the end of the day, you're already hot and tired, why carry bales 25 and 30 yards when you can drive right up to them? Am I lazy? Or efficient? I choose the latter.

When we went back for our second load I volunteered to drive the truck. Afterall, I had my exercise for the day. Plus, while Jake was driving he slammed on the brakes, on accident of course and sent the load tumbling which resulted in a pretty miffed Luke. Luke is one of the main work horses on the knolltop, we have to keep him happy and satisfied!

After we loaded up the truck and a hay wagon we headed home...we tried to head home, the truck decided it wanted to act up and it looks like we might need some transmission work done now. So we had to walk back home and get the tractor. Luke ran all the way and unhooked the tractor from the spreader and brought it to us...I was still walking....

We pulled the load home and now there it sits....waiting to be unloaded. Although my birthday started out to be a great day, it didn't end up that way....oh well, it was a birthday to remember.

Oh, yes, and icing on the cake....Sarah went home to wash up the dishes while we pulled the truck home and she dropped something on her kitten on accident...yes it's dead now. So I hugged a tearful Sarah and prayed for her last night before crashing into bed.

Anyone else have days like this?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ha Ha you must not have liquid manure
Francis and Pat

Melissa Hart said...

No, we don't...I think that's a blessing..especially since the news of that family who perished trying to save one another in Virginia.

Anonymous said...

u knukle heads! I see u guys cant get
anything done without my knowlege and direction. I have enough problems pimpin out my truck and worrying about my road test tuesday. I dont need to worry about u. But i see ill have to continue to take charge. I look forward to cleaning upo ur guyses mess. c-ya

Melissa Hart said...

Luke says: It would've been worse if you were here...by the way, we had a great time swimming, were you poolside?

Melissa Hart said...

mom says: I miss you Dub...it would've been so much better if you'd been here, make sure you're back in time to milk with me tonight!