Knolltop Farm Wife (Melissa Hart)

Welcome to my blog! I'm a wife, mother of four and a self-employed freelance writer. In addition to writing, I am involved in producing several dairy magazines and am the editor of Dairy Agenda Today where I have a blog there as well! This is a place where I can get what's in my head, down on paper (the internet). I hope you find encouragement and maybe a giggle or two!
Follow me on instagram @farmwriter

Tuesday, July 3, 2007

Nice night for a picnic

Last evening, I left the chores to JW and his friend and headed to the Godfrey Farm for the 37th annual Godfrey Farm Urban-Rural Picnic. Each year Richard Godfrey hosts the annual event and invites some bigwig to come speak along with all the politicians. The focus is to connect the local urban business men and the farmers together for an evening. Now the unusual aspect of this picnic is that there are very few women invited to this event...it's basically a men only event. The usual women who attend are the wives of the politicians, Jody Pollock, the head of the Michigan Corn Growers Association, her assistant Amy, me, only because I cover it for the Farmers Advance, and a couple of other wives. I think I counted seven women there out of about 75 attendees.

Richard's wife and daughters usually serve the meal and it's a great one. We enjoyed pork chops on the grill, baked beans and all the trimmings and big bowls of ice cream for dessert. The speaker last night was our U.S. Representative, Tim Walberg. I had a great time visiting with friends but I missed Luke's game. Although they lost both games to Homer, I still would've liked to have been there.

Today we will clean out more calf pens, work in the garden and run to Jonesville for some supplies. I think Sarah will go to a friends house, JW will take the starter from his tractor to Litchfield for repairs and maybe I will go poolside with Jake and Luke...it's going to be a good day for it.

No comments: