Knolltop Farm Wife (Melissa Hart)

Welcome to my blog! I'm a wife, mother of four and a self-employed freelance writer. In addition to writing, I am involved in producing several dairy magazines and am the editor of Dairy Agenda Today where I have a blog there as well! This is a place where I can get what's in my head, down on paper (the internet). I hope you find encouragement and maybe a giggle or two!
Follow me on instagram @farmwriter

Friday, July 27, 2007

RAIN and cowboys


It finally rained on the Knolltop last night. As we were settling into our popcorn eating and Agriview reading, we got more lightening and thunder than we've had since last summer I think. And then he clouds let loose and we got RAIN! This morning the grass is just a little bit green, I might even have to mow tomorrow! I'm so glad because my pumpkins were looking pretty sorry last night as I checked them. And the corn? Well, those nasty good-for-absolutely-nothing coons have feasted on my sweetcorn instead of my poison and they've gotten a lot of it.

The past couple of weeks our horse, yes we have a horse..his name is "Bud" I know, it's so original. Well let's get technical, his registered name is Doc's King Peppy San, that means so much to all of you, I know, but really, to the Quarter Horse enthusiast that means something...I think. Anyway, Bud has been getting used by my daughter and one of her friends who comes over, almost daily. They saddle him up, ride him down the road and back a few times, take him down the lane to the steer barn and then unsaddle him, wash him off and put him back out to pasture.

Yesterday the girls were out with there faithful steed, well we really can't call him a steed, he's not too spirited. But I like that terminology so I'll call him a steed. While they were out there I kept hearing this loud "Whoa! Whoa!" Finally I had to get out there and see what was happening, Bud's not the type to run off or anything, but he must have been doing something to cause such shouting. I looked out and it there was Jake on Bud showing the girls his cowboy expertise. Of course Jake is not like his brother Luke. When Luke rides Bud he has to get the whole cowboy thing going...boots, jeans...the whole thing. And when he was little he had a pair of handmade chaps and several western shirts. You wouldn't catch Luke out there riding without the full cowboy wardrobe! Jake just throws wardrobe caution to the wind and hops on with his shorts and tennis shoes. I'm so glad the wardrobe police don't patrol our road!

No comments: