Knolltop Farm Wife (Melissa Hart)

Welcome to my blog! I'm a wife, mother of four and a self-employed freelance writer. In addition to writing, I am involved in producing several dairy magazines and am the editor of Dairy Agenda Today where I have a blog there as well! This is a place where I can get what's in my head, down on paper (the internet). I hope you find encouragement and maybe a giggle or two!
Follow me on instagram @farmwriter

Thursday, July 19, 2007

Off to the show

Today is the Holstein heifer show in East Lansing, so we'll head up there after chores are done. Plus we get to bring the boys home...I'm glad of that... I miss them.

I need to give a Holly update. She's been gimping along, not really getting any better but not any worse. But Wednesday morning when I went to the barn for the first time since Monday morning, I noticed she look absolutely awful! Bobby called the vet and he came out and ended up doing surgery, she had a right DA (displace abomasum). Left DA's are no problem and are quite common, but right DA's are bad and the vet usually gives them a 50/50 chance to recover. We've had 2 right DA's one lived, one died....so those stats were running pretty close on our farm. Last night when we went to the barn she was eating much more aggressivly..a great sign. By this morning she was on her knees eating the other cows feed next to her. The old Holly is back and on the mend...Madison...here we come!

No comments: