Knolltop Farm Wife (Melissa Hart)

Welcome to my blog! I'm a wife, mother of four and a self-employed freelance writer. In addition to writing, I am involved in producing several dairy magazines and am the editor of Dairy Agenda Today where I have a blog there as well! This is a place where I can get what's in my head, down on paper (the internet). I hope you find encouragement and maybe a giggle or two!
Follow me on instagram @farmwriter

Wednesday, October 3, 2007

Anybody ever heard of the Royal?

I ask that question sarcastically because I have a great friend of mine who is crazy not only about the Royal Agricultural Winter Fair in Tornonto but who also seems to find redeemng qualities in the Jersey cow.

Russell Gammon, Executive Secretary of Jersey Canada, otherwise known as the "Big Guy" of Canadian Jerseys, or as he likes to refer to himself as Jerseyboy, is a big... no huge fan of the Royal and I wanted to share with you the comments he sent to me this morning about their big event coming up. I think we'll all be ready to hop in the car and cross the border after reading his description of one of the best ag expositions in the world.

It has been thirty-one years (November 1976 while I was a student at the U of G's Ontario Agricultural College) since my first memorable visit to "The Royal." I've been back every year since then and certainly every year since 1981! More than an autumnal rite of passage "The Royal" is sheer magic! The people, the sights and sounds, the excellence of competition, the fun, frivolity, joy of socializing and the scores of international visitors and amount of business conducted there are all an intoxicating mix of delights!!!

You long for those few golden days in November all year through. Then, as soon as one Royal is over you start dreaming about next year! We have some great Jersey shows in Canada because great conformation is one of our Canuck hallmarks and international calling cards! Nonetheless, the Royal is known world over as "THE BIG Dance", "THE one to win", "The Grand-daddy and Grand-mammy of them all" !!! In short the Royal is the jewel in the crown and nothing else quite compares! That's why since 1922 which is far from yesterday it has been "simply the best!"

Russell, your passion for cows and love of the Royal is palpable, thanks for sharing!

No comments: