Knolltop Farm Wife (Melissa Hart)

Welcome to my blog! I'm a wife, mother of four and a self-employed freelance writer. In addition to writing, I am involved in producing several dairy magazines and am the editor of Dairy Agenda Today where I have a blog there as well! This is a place where I can get what's in my head, down on paper (the internet). I hope you find encouragement and maybe a giggle or two!
Follow me on instagram @farmwriter

Tuesday, October 2, 2007

Left home

Well, this week is Madison and farm women all across the country are saying goodbye to their counterparts and looking at doing chores alone on the farm. Whether it be one cow our 200, those left home to keep things together for the family farm are happy to do so because they know that husband needs a few days or hours away just to get a fresh perspective.

My husband will be heading out this week as well and he's taking our two best hands with him. While I would love to be in the car riding along as they head through the traffic of Chicago and then look across the fields and fields of corn in northern Illinois and southern Wisconsin, I'm happy to stay home and keep the cows fed and milked. They will have a great time as Bobby is able to take his two older boys who haven't been to World Dairy Expo since they were 3 and 5 years old (they don't remember it). He will them story after story after story of all the years he spent fitting cows at Madison. They will finally be able to put a face to all the names they have heard about over the years and I can't wait to hear their reaction when they look across the colored shavings and watch as the best of the best enter a showring fit for queens.

In the meantime...I've got to make sure they have enough clean clothes to pack....off to the laundry room with a big cup of coffee!

No comments: